Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

RCBS 7.62x54R neck sizing die - Im about to order one at $110.

Anybody else want one?
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

I started reloading for mine and just used the .308 Lee collet neck sizing die, works a treat. I slugged mine and found I had a .312 bore. The ol girl is showing great promise, with a few more tweaks should be able to achieve moa.

Yeah I heard slugging is advised, what year is yours? wondering if the war production is well rough. A mate has a 1943 gun and its a lot rougher than my M44 which was 1946. Its been FTR'd and the barrel looks brand new so Im hoping it will shoot well on std dimensioned ammo. So Im going to order some 180gr barnual projectiles to try, 31cents a pop see how they go. Beyond that casting looks interesting and hence, yes slugging. Looks like Lee's and the Mosin's share the same nominal size and issues of oversizing.

Have you done any bedding?

Whats the trigger like?

My trigger seems Ok - ish, though bad compared to a target rifle wondered if maybe a small polish could help

Mine is 1937 and was a refurb, barrel has excellent rifeling. Had a 1943 previously and the machining on it was rough as. I havnt bedded mine yet or done the trigger but I have free floated the barrel under the wood. Tried factory ammo in mine but as 7.62 works out to .310 dia, the groups werent good. Am looking at a Timney trigger to replace the military unit next and pssibly bedding the action. I have a custom made scope mount on mine with a weaver 4x32 on it and the trigger has the bolt handle bent.

Im rather limited to what mods I can do as I want to shoot it in WSRA, so repairs and maintenance seem OK but out and out improvement mods like free floating, no.

just got 100 barnual supposedly "54R" FMJ 185gr projectiles (I assume its "heavy ball"), .311 they are not...seem more like .308 rounds, .3089....

If this is typical, slugging and casting might well be worth a go, could be interesting anyway. The good thing is 303 seem so simialr that reading up on what ppl do with enfields might be a good starting point.

I have a sniper side mounted scope mount (but no scope), not sure if I'll fit it yet though.

A nice enfield will be next on the list. I looked at the side mounts for the Mosins but no one seemed to have the base plate which screws onto the side of the action so you can fit the side mount. If I ever get another with a barrel this good then maybe I will go for the side mount and pu scope.

gunstuff has a scope side mount I think, PE type though.

A decent enfield could be hard and expensive these days, I spent 4 months looking and saw so many clappout guns it wasnt funny, or pay >$1000 for one....or ebarrel at $1100. I got a no2 mk4 enfield eventually but I need to desporterise it....that could be fun, its a chance but $350 v over $1000 pointed my at the exercise. Ive been looking for the front end wood and brackets/clips or a worn out donor (fat chance) not doing to well. Gonna talk to my AO this week and see how he feels about me importing the bits off ebay, I can get the wood there for about $100~$150...

regards
    Last edited by steven; 09-06-2013 at 06:16 PM.

PU is side mount, PE is on top of the action. got a PE on mine with a repro scope. rather fun shooter but yet to slug it or get some dies.

Hi Steven, I toyed with the idea of doing a rebarrel for the mosin in true 7.62 so it would enable me to utilise the 308 cal projectiles but no one wanted to do it I found I could get a 30 cal blank but would have to get it reamed/chambered. Have been in contact with Lee precision, they are not accepting any customwork at the moment but when they are they will make me a custom necksizing die if I send them a fired casing from my rifle and a projectile I want to reload for
    Konev What model and year is your Mosin ?

Not PE then, ive seen a side mount as well as the top mount, but its "bigger" than my ww2 style mount..cant find it there now however.

its a '38 91/30 round receiver.

Being a pre war model it should be fairly accurate for you Keep us informed when shoot groups, great to see someone else having fun with these war era rifles.