Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: RCBS Dies... Problem?

Having never seen a reloading press in action, my thoughts are from way out left field,,,,,but does the press have a shaft that could be binding up with pressure. When moving some of the lube may have been wiped off, and when under pressure from sizing, it's loading up on the slide/shaft/pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    You are hitting the case holder while on the sizing stroke with a case being sized?!?

First ascertain where the case is stopping you chambering it, if it is at the mouth all good trim, if it is at the shoulder your die needs to go down, die setting instructions are shit....dont set to touch the case holder set to match your rifles chamber lenght/headspace.

If it is tight on the shoulder the die needs to go down, if it is kissing the shell holder WHILE SIZING the case you need to remove some of the die from the bottom.
    presses stretch and kissing the holder with no case can be miles of with a case.
    I think he can chamber it and the measurements stack up its just tight as on the way out of the die

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Worth checking what oraki said. My old Lee Turret press used to bind up under load when the shaft got a bit dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I think he can chamber it and the measurements stack up its just tight as on the way out of the die
    He said excessive resistance closing the bolt.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

He did, my bad As you were mate ha ha ha

Bought some new dies this morning, also RCBS as thats all I could find on the shelf in chch, set them up exactly the same as I had the other ones and brass is running through them nicely, I had a measure of a few cases sized through the "defective" die and got some odd readings so the one I measured yesterday was fine and I chambered it and it was fine, but most the others were not, the die seemed to be bringing the shoulder forward. So im just going to put it down to a dicky die. This is the second problem I have had with RCBS gear, first was my rockchucker snapping in half!
    Gibo likes this.

Dumb question but you did lube the cases ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chop3r View Post
    Dumb question but you did lube the cases ?
    In the end I was lubing the hell out of them to the point I became worried about dented shoulders

One thing I once struck with new dies was a factory protective coating, had to clean internally with solvent and problem disappeared.
    R93 likes this.