Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Recovered Amax

I have it is 16" and sitting in my safe not doing anything lol. I got good speed loading with 155's but I haven't done anything with it.

Am I the only one that think that performance is rubbish? Or am I expecting to much?

I mean that projectile has lost more than half of its weight!! The last projectile I recovered and weighed was a 130gn Speer shot out of a 7mm-08. Taken from the shoulder of a Red Stag. It had mushroomed well and weighed 123 grains. So going through the animal it held together and only lost 7 grains of weight.

So this sort of set the benchmark for me as Speer are not in the top lot of favourite or expensive projectiles. So I thought if they can do it surely all the fancy expensive ones should be able to do the same.

GWH that's not a bullet fail...the animal died quickly and cleanly...end of story.
    GWH likes this.

Performance was perfect, it expanded well at a low velocity and it obviously killed the deer. A harder projectile might not have expanded much and just penciled through with minimal damage.
    The a-max is a projectile that you need to think about before you pull the trigger. They are not the best projectile for a south - north shot on a big stag at close range, but they are awesome on a broadside shot at 300 yds plus.
    I personally use an accubond or barnes up close but my longrange load is an amax.

I used Barnes. Up close with 308. The took time to die.
    Dan M

The 168 Amax are not a patch on the 165 game kings in my 30cal mag the amax are slow killers.

Interesting, the 168 amax kills really well in my friends 308. For you it is possibly something to do with velocity. What velocity are you running them at, an what range are you shooting at?

3000 fps 400 plus Meters .lacking the shock factor.Easy to see when the skin is off.

Quote Originally Posted by H&K MAN View Post
    The 168 Amax are not a patch on the 165 game kings in my 30cal mag the amax are slow killers.
    Based on how many kills ??
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Based on how many kills ??
    Now Mr Pengy, I hope you're not stirring

Who, Me? Never!
    Purely interested in how H& K man came to his conclusion.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by H&K MAN View Post
    3000 fps 400 plus Meters .lacking the shock factor.Easy to see when the skin is off.
    Would have thought they would have killed well. Very similar to my .284 162 amax and they killed really well, nearly every animal dropped on the spot with a solid shoulder shot.
    GWH likes this.

I used the 168 fairly extensively out of 308 at 2750 fps. They were much more frangible than the 178 for some reason even tho going 200 fps slower. Lightning kills out to 500 od.. lacked penitration inside 300y on stags shoulders and needed to be neck shot or slipped in behind the shoulder.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

The way I look at it is that 70grains still smashed its way through both shoulders. If a tiny little 50grain bullet from a .222 can kill so effectively, then 70grains of intact bullet must be more than enough.

That's without even factoring in the massive hydrostatic shock that the other 100grains did in shedding off along the way.

Kj
    GWH and Ranal like this.

This 162 gr A-Max was recovered from a large red Hind shot at 40 meters, dropped instantly, got up and staggered 25 meters then fell over. I forgot in the rush ( 3 deer on road) to shoot behind shoulder and hit her dead center in the shoulder. Not the ideal performance as the bullet all but blew to pieces but it did work and internal damage was massive. Shot out of my 7mm Mag at just under 3000 fps.