Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Red colour inside 44-40 case??

Yes I was going to point out that you were technically right (the best kind). But the residues mixed with water are most certainly mildly acidic.
    Also potassium sulfide will be the reason my brass went silver. It is used to put a patina on copper etc leaving a black or brown layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Sulphites and moisture form sulphurous acid which first neutralizes the washing soda carbonate and then does the damage to the steel. So it would appear I've kind of shot my first statement in the foot  however it takes a long time for that to happen and leaving a barrel uncleaned overnight or for a day or 2 does no harm in my experience
    5 mths. Destroyed the gun. No prior experience of BP, or knowledge. Bought the rifle, bought some used brass, 5 loaded cartridges came with it so shot them off. Clouds of smoke. Put gun away in safe, jumped on a plane for 5 mths away. Came home, got gun out of safe, pile of flakey grey stuff fell out of barrel. Rossi 45 Colt. Never seen anything like it. Absolutely pitted and corroded from chamber to muzzle. Pristine on the outside. Being an 11 round mag Aunty paid me $200 more than it cost me. Assessor couldn't understand why I decided not to have the mag crimped. Lesson learned.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

I suspected it may be Blackpowder residue as my 36 Hawken has these marks on the brass work.
    Either that or Hoppes from cleaning but Snider and Martini cases are washed in soapy water and do not show any signs of discoloration

Name:  P1000197.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  7.15 MB

I wash .44-40 brass in water, and its fine. Just looks old and coppery.

I wouldnt worry about that brass it all. Looks like someone fired some kind of duplex load in them. Just go and shoot them. You couldnt hurt yourself with a .44-40 if you tried, and I have tried most things.

(I actually rubbed damp gunpowder on my brass flintlock patch box to make it go less shiny and old looking. Worked overnight.)
    Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

Thks all for the comments and insights. I have no concerns using the brass. Just darn curious as to what caused it. The only brass I discard has splits, cracks and fractures. Colour don't count for too much although I tend to like mine shiny. Easier to find when they wink at me from the ground.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...