Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By northdude

Thread: reloading 25-06 advice

reloading 25-06 advice

Hey guys,

I'm just getting into reloading for my 25-06. I'm wondering if anyone can impart a bit of advice on the following topics...
    1. Where's the best place to get projectile from in NZ? I seem to remember one of the major companies allowed you to purchase a selection of projectiles so you could experiment before going full hog and purchasing a whole box. I just can't remember which company this is...any ideas?

2. Any preferred projectiles and loads that anyone can recommend? Will mainly be used for red deer in both bush and open country. I'm thinking Sierra Gameking120 grain or Hornandy SST 117 grain.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

northdude
    I think gunworks do sample packs
    Gruff likes this.

I wouldn't recommend the SST's for close up shots in the bush. I used Hornady Superformance for a while through my .25-06, but stopped using them because all of our shots are at fairly close range (<50m) and we had too many deer get up and run off. They just don't seem to expand enough at high speed with that polymer insert, but go right through instead. Would probably be okay if you hit some good solid bone, but ribs aren't enough.

We swapped to Hornady American Whitetail which has a conventional soft point and have had no problems since.

I have heard good reports about the NZ made Targex projectiles, but don't fire enough shots to warrant reloading, so haven't used them myself.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I would use Hornady Interlocks as they are simple and work really well. I do a load for the Bro in law with these & 2213SC.
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .257 25 CAL :: 25 Cal .257 117 gr InterLock® BTSP

I have settled on the 110gr accubond, or if I want a heavy bush load 120gr fusion.

I do shoot 100gr ballistic tips on goats, but my rifle, isn't as accurate as it is with 110-120gr weights, once the loaded ammo is gone, i will stick with the accubond or 120gr hotcor (fusion)

I agree with southerman, when I had my 25 06 I used the Noslar 110 gr Accubond and found them reliable at various ranges, always dropped red deer close to where they were hit.

Nosler ballistic tip 110 grain work best in Sako fin bar shot loads of reds here in the U.K. Superb round deadly accurate groups in quarter inch. I'm not a great shot but neck shoot out one fifty without thinking twice the gun and round is so reliable

Jump onto Ballisticstudies.com and look at the 25-06 for more information

Nosler partitions 120gn or 115gn for reds is the best I've found. Good for up close out to 250 yrds. 117SST's work great in 150 - 300 yrd range. If you're reloading go for slower powders like 2217 or RL22.

Cheers for all the advice guys. I've got myself a range of projectiles as I found GunWorks in Canterbury would do sampler packs of 12. I'll let you know how I get on.

northdude
    Always been interested in that caliber

75 grain vmax at 3500-3600 fps was a wicked goat fallow load was extremely flat out to 300. I used the 117 interlock and the 115 nosler bts both killed very effectively the interlock actually got me 2 animals with one bullet, twice!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk