Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Reloading lesson

Annealing made perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    AMP annealing is the way to go.
    Improved case life and far more consistent velocity’s and accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ha ha. I don't know the OP's financial circumstances but nothing like recommending a machine which is potentially 2 or maybe 3 times his start up budget.

Heading off into the anneal or not to anneal debate rather than answering the OP's request for help with the basics methinks.
    shooternz likes this.

Annealing as a must for reloading, first time I have heard that. OP nothing wrong asking for help. A lot of fellas like tinkering and figuring stuff out. I'm too lazy, or maybe dumb, I forget. If I can get a lesson or soldiers five on something I'll take it every time . Are you on good terms with any gunstores? When I started out I got a mate working in one to give me some lessons.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I have an AMP machine and it's very, very good. However, it's certainly not a must have and definitely not recommended for a reloading beginner unless you have a money tree growing in the back yard.

Charliehorse, I don't live too far from you and you're more than welcome to come over sometime. I may even have a few items that you can have buckshee to help you get started.

Just watched the first few mins of a 7mm rem mag vid of juijitsu2000. . His sizing die set up is lazy/incorrect and has the potential for case head separation, didnt watch any more. Anyone can put anything they like on the internet, a lot of it is just wrong. Far to many people try something, think it works based on a very small sample and cling to it like its fact, it spreads and becomes collective wisdom. Sometimes it right, other times its just bollocks. Experience doesn't seem to fully insulate from this.
    Reloading can be a basic set up to build OK hunting ammo for a good price or you can end up down the rabbit hole spending the kids inheritance trying to reduce your SD to 1 or anywhere in between.
    My advice would be stay away from annealing, electronic scales, case gauges, run out gauges, neck turning etc etc. Start basic. I still prefer a good reloading manual to anything on youtube. Add bits as you need to solve problems you find along the way not because some said you "need it" . Learn as you go, keep an open mind and keep it engaged, dont believe everything you read on the net especially velocities some claim.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Take 10-Ring up on his offer... you won't regret it... Tokoroa is a short drive and he's a good bugger!

As for annealing... I don't do it but I've also used brass I've had annealed and it's a great tool to have but not necessary especially when starting out loading as your trying to figure out what you need and what's best bang for the buck (pun intended), what you don't need and what's going to fit in with what your trying to accomplish with your budget.
    charliehorse likes this.

Old Lyman manuals would probably be the best textbook for anyone starting out. The basic principles dont change but through experimentation guys develop shortcuts or sidesteps based on experience. Start simple and work up.
    I still use a simple Lee handloader for 45/70 and 3030, hammer the primers out hammer a new one in makes ammo as good as anything, and gives young guys at the range something to watch they've never seen before.
    zimmer and berg243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post

I tend to watch the gnarly old guys who have interesting workshops and a ton of gear, not the young guys with gucci (flash, expensive ) kit.

They tend to know more and be less impressed with fads.
    I resemble that remark ☺

Reading is the best way to learn check this book out I have a couple of other books by this dude easy to follow and he knows what he is talking about U-tubers can be dangerous,
    Zediker Publishing Top Grade Ammo is the book to get available as an Ebook, I prefer paper easier to have handy will reloading.
    charliehorse likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    AMP?
    Australian, Maori and Pakeha ?
    Cyclops likes this.

I’m in Hamilton. Have got the RCBS kit. Happy to run you through it.
    charliehorse likes this.

Thanks for your input guys. @10-Ring and @Plinky appreciate the offers for demo. Will possibly be in touch via PM at some stage to jack something up. Way things are shaping up it will be the new year before I can do anything