Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Reloading for older shotguns

Have 2 old late 1800-early 1900 side by side 12 gauges
    Both are Damascus or twist steel actually one of each
    The Damascus one is English and it is nitro proofed it has the old 2-1/2 inch chambers but I make my own shells for it and it goes great with black powder I have also put a couple of boxes of falcon cowboy 2.5 inch roll crimped smokeless loads (very mild) and goes well with them aswell

The other I got last weekend is a Belgium proofed twist steel one also in fantastic condition it is not nitro(smokeless proofed) i haven’t shot it yet
    But im thinking it might be ok with a very mild handload to Mimic black powder just to save some cleaning
    It has 2-3/4 chambers

Does anyone have any experience loading moden powders in Damascus shotguns that are black powder proofed?
    I should I just stick to black powder

I had an old hollis hammergun that din collins tighened for me and re chambered to 2.3/4. Told me to use the lightest 1 ounce loads in the book and it worked well

@rambo-6mmrem

Not sure, but when I write out a very long question, I sometimes end up fairly near an answer in my last line...

Have you considered the best of both worlds - making up some Swiss artillery smokeless black powder? It was fully described on the now defunct web site http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/history.html but maybe you can get find it on the internet archive (archive.org) It was developed by the swiss artillery as they noticed they were blind after firing a first salvo using traditional gunpowder.

Can't recall the proportions, but by eliminating sulfur from the recipe the firing generates only a light, white haze of powdered potash. Trade off is slightly lower power and a 100 deg C higher ignition temperature - making it poor for a flint lock but no issue with percussion caps / primers.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    @rambo-6mmrem

Not sure, but when I write out a very long question, I sometimes end up fairly near an answer in my last line...

Have you considered the best of both worlds - making up some Swiss artillery smokeless black powder? It was fully described on the now defunct web site http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/history.html but maybe you can get find it on the internet archive (archive.org) It was developed by the swiss artillery as they noticed they were blind after firing a first salvo using traditional gunpowder.

Can't recall the proportions, but by eliminating sulfur from the recipe the firing generates only a light, white haze of powdered potash. Trade off is slightly lower power and a 100 deg C higher ignition temperature - making it poor for a flint lock but no issue with percussion caps / primers.
    Cheers for your reply mate and interesting but in this case
    The smoke isn’t a problem its the Corrosive Nature Of Black powder takeing out Sulphur
    doesn’t remove the salts I can see what you were getting at though
    But I’ll just use old smokey if I can’t find a non corrosive Load suitable
    I have to use black powder at events but was just looking for a practice load that requires less cleaning afterwards if you know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    I had an old hollis hammergun that din collins tighened for me and re chambered to 2.3/4. Told me to use the lightest 1 ounce loads in the book and it worked well
    Cheers mate
    Yeah im reasonabley Confident that would work in this one also it is a very nice gun locks up like new
    And has a crossbolt lock also so shes a good solid gun
    But for safety sake i geuss I’ll use black
    Can always shoot light nitro loads in the other gun (nitro proof) for practice

I dont know.....but what about trailboss????? Ive got an old chart with shotgun loads that came with the lee loader whackamole set....they use nobel type powders so possibly still too potent.

Use the cowboy loads, being 2/12 in a 2/34 chamber wont make any difference. Target products also down load (or at least they used to) target ammo for school shooter training. It was much softer than their std target light. Might pay to ring them, they could supply breech pressures for all there ammunition so you could make an informed choice.
    As to cleaning my regieme is two smokeless after the black powder.

Yeah I think cowboy ammunition would be fine
    Wonder if @gundoc would have any advice for me?

Cowboy loads and 28 gram target loads will be fine. I used to use 1-1/8 ounce Grand Prix shells in my grandfathers old d/b hammer gun without any problems. Lead loads only of course, steel is very bad news in older guns.