Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Reloading Poser

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    That's exactly wot I,m asking ,and I've experienced dozens and dozens over the years while holding zero.Its just I,m such a skin flint,I can't bring my self to biffing reloaded cases til they fail on the neck.Firming up my suspicions the barrel is done.cheers
    Anneal your cases.
    Huntertoo likes this.

Cheers @zimmer will try that ready reckoner.I don't reload but get a Chch commercial reloader to do that for me.He doesn't anneal brass.Hopefully he hasn't changed the brew.I can understand throat erosion in a 22-250 doing warp factor 2 but a mild trebly load- well worth a try to establish yay or nay
    Last edited by bluebaiter222; 30-07-2023 at 04:22 PM.

Wouldnt hurt to ask him. May have substituted something as some stuff is in short supply?

Looking at the surface rust outside the crown threading, I'd be surprised if the muzzle end rifling is good. She's seen a fair bit of action..
    Micky Duck likes this.

agree 6x47 that looks very tired...hundy bucks or maybe hundy fifty will get it recrowned again.....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I got caught out like this years ago with an old 7x57 that lost accuracy… I thought it was my reloads but it ended up being loose rings but it wasn’t so obvious until I tightened them up.
    Roarless20 likes this.

And give the thing a clean to the last inch of its life, all carbon and metal fouling out and have a good look then. Borescope might not show much until thats done.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    agree 6x47 that looks very tired...hundy bucks or maybe hundy fifty will get it recrowned again.....
    Yeah nar Robbie Tiffin gave the barrel a hair cut when he installed his Gunworks over barrel suppressor.Once screwed on ,the rear of the suppressor abutts the fore end so a second hair cut would result in loss of 1 1/2" of the fore end tip along with the front sling swivel mounting point.A chain reaction,probably better dumping that coin into a new barrel

Gone down the track of a replacement bbl.All sorted,so from here in,any misses are down to the nut behind the butt.His bore scope revealed after 5k plus rounds she's only good for a tomato stake.Will be wearing barrel No.3 in no time.cheers for everyones replies and suggestions

Cool to know for sure. Has it had 3 barrels while youve owned it?

I've shot out 2 barrels since buying it new in '87 mail order from Shooters Supplies in Akld.This upcoming barrel will be No.3. Was a tool of trade for several years,but now just recreational hunter so annual round count should mean it will see me out,or earlier when the Feds knock on the door for the upcoming UN disarming of the populace
    zimmer and shananah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    Gone down the track of a replacement bbl.All sorted,so from here in,any misses are down to the nut behind the butt.His bore scope revealed after 5k plus rounds she's only good for a tomato stake.Will be wearing barrel No.3 in no time.cheers for everyones replies and suggestions
    Tomato stakes aren't getting any cheaper. :-) @bluebaiter what did the borescope show with the throat?

Red face

My first introduction to the use of a bore scope,hell I didn't even realise they can give you a side view of the bore so bit of an educational.As I say my experience with the sport is pulling the trigger on live animals to convert them into dead animals.Don't really lean towards the geeky side of the whole field.Not that there's anything wrong if it floats your boat.Anon explained to me what I was seeing thru the bore scope,and he immediately focused on the muzzle end.He quickly passed over viewing the Throat.We could see pitting from the throat all the way to the crown.With my untrained eye in the small .224 bore combined with my poor vision I couldn't even see the pitting without the instrument.This surprised me as I consider I,m not slack with firearm maintenance ,if indeed the pitting was a result of poor cleaning ,oiling ,etc following hunting in the rain.His trained eye quickly concluded that the barrel was done due mostly to the level of pitting.So another lesson learnt today.Pitting (if u can see it)= loss of accuracy whereas I understood it was more about wear on the lands & crown
    that was the primary reason for accuracy loss.Once I get the old barrel back ,I could possibly take a closer look of the throat to understand the extent of erosion but probably don't have the talent to decipher what I'm seeing
    Last edited by bluebaiter222; 31-07-2023 at 09:18 PM.