Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: reloading press

Lots of people able to give you a run through if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Lots of people able to give you a run through if you need it.
    @Danger Mouse that would be great and I will be sure to ask some questions if I get stuck. Thank you
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    @Tommy I took your advice and bought the big boss 2 from serious shooters in Auckland, it arrived this morning and it looks the goods. I already have the Redding dies, powder, primers and bullets, I will just buy the other needed essentials over the next month or so and then get into it. The guy at serious shooters said the price was going back up so seems I may have got it at the right time. It came with 3 reloading magazines so some good reading there as well. I already have the right recipe (load) for my riffle as I got heaps loaded on another press so should be good to go soon. Thanks for the advice Tommy
    They had a couple I think, in theory they go up to $429 on Monday but he says if he has any left and it's mentioned they saw it at $379 on the NZHS forum he'll do the old price of $379. He's a GC
    gadgetman and 7mm Rem Mag like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    @Kamel Shame we dont seem to do "local" with Aussie Simplex presses. A few dies turn up from time to time but the presses are pretty rare here.
    If you were to buy one and ship it here there wouldnt be much change from $500, you can go for a Redding or RCBS at those prices
    Yeah, its a shame really, not that Simplex gear has all the bells and whistles, just good honest stuff that gets the job done, I guess postage and exchange rate would put it up there with those others. I gave my old Master press to a mate a few years ago after I picked up a Redding T7 at really cheap price, I now have the full length size dies that I use regularly permanently set up in it. The smaller Simplex turret presses I have set up for neck sizing, decapping, primer and projectile seating. I do like stuffing around with wildcats and the little presses are good for mixing and matching dies to neck down in stages.

Quote Originally Posted by gone-tropo View Post
    Csmiffy. borow mine for a week. see how you like the hornady
    @gone-tropo I'd take you up on the offer if for nothing other than a chin wag. There would be nothing wrong with the Hornady I'm sure of that.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Back in the 1970's there was Simplex sold in a few gunshops around the country I knew a couple of guy's that used it, But have not seen any new products from them in many years,
    I have seen the odd bit of gear at gunshows.
    Simplex dropped off with their loading gear for a few years after the original owner croaked, they had to concentrate on other engineering stuff to keep the place going, they seem to have decided to do more loading gear lately, it amazes me that there are a hell of a lot of loaders and shooters over here who have never heard of Simplex, guess they go for the stuff from the states as it is all you hear about in the shooting world. It is reasonably priced over here, probably half way between Lee and the other big makers, but the quality is right up with the rest of them, just dont have the range of gadgets I spose.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @gone-tropo I'd take you up on the offer if for nothing other than a chin wag. There would be nothing wrong with the Hornady I'm sure of that.
    flick me a pm, probably wednesday night would be good for you to grab it. only dies i have are 223 and 7mmRM, i have powder for both

Quote Originally Posted by Kamel View Post
    Simplex dropped off with their loading gear for a few years after the original owner croaked, they had to concentrate on other engineering stuff to keep the place going, they seem to have decided to do more loading gear lately, it amazes me that there are a hell of a lot of loaders and shooters over here who have never heard of Simplex, guess they go for the stuff from the states as it is all you hear about in the shooting world. It is reasonably priced over here, probably half way between Lee and the other big makers, but the quality is right up with the rest of them, just dont have the range of gadgets I spose.
    I came by some dies that were missing an expander ball and decap pin not long ago. To get it sorted they were really good to deal with, I forget the lady's name, but man she was super dooper helpful
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I have a simplex press, similar to a rock chucker never had an issue with it seems solid and well made. I got mine 2nd hand, would recommend one if they are available.

Have a look at the Forster Co-Ax.
    It has a different system where the locking ring stays permanently on the die and it slides into place and back out when finished. So its always set at the exact length you had it at last time. Also, the die floats and moves around to con-centre onto the case giving better straightness.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Have a look at the Forster Co-Ax.
    It has a different system where the locking ring stays permanently on the die and it slides into place and back out when finished. So its always set at the exact length you had it at last time. Also, the die floats and moves around to con-centre onto the case giving better straightness.
    +1

Yep, probably the best of the best although they're about $800 new. Had mine for about five years now and it's produces more concentric ammo than my old Rockchucker press ever did. The spent primer collection jar is a great design feature too. Workshop Innovation import them.

Yes, I'm not saying the co-ax is the way to go for everyone but some people do spend a lot on their shooting and that press probably makes reloading just a little bit more trouble free over the years. I was fortunate I could afford it at the time. I just mentioned it in this thread for completeness.
    csmiffy likes this.

@Tommy that was my impression of her also.
    as an aside I have asked my friend what his press was and it is a large O frame Hornady.
    It handles the 416 rem as that's what I reloaded mine with so all good
    He is also looking at getting out of reloading and selling up once he reloads a bunch with it. Just not doing enough shooting anymore.
    I might have first dibs on it but I haven't asked him what its all worth yet. Couple of sets of dies, one set of which I was after so it may be the go if its not too spendy.
    Last edited by csmiffy; 05-12-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    Tommy likes this.