Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By STC

Thread: Reloading software. What to use ?

Threaded View

Reloading software. What to use ?

So what is the currently best on line reloading software to use ?

My needs are maybe slightly different from most who are reloading nitro bottleneck cases.
    Main differences are

Wildcats
    Straight wall cases
    Sometimes BP
    Large capacity
    Vintage obsolete cartridges

Pressure is a huge consideration in most of these applications.
    Oldest cartridge rifle is 165 years. Most are around 125 plus years old.
    So reliable pressure data prediction is important to decide on a load that can safely and repeatedly be used.

I have been told that the software doesn't really do BP well and I also see on line that people say it's not so reliable on straight wall cases.
    I'm an experienced reloader and reload over 25 calibers for over 30 vintage ( and a couple of modern ) rifles.
    I don't shoot target rifles and I'm not after bench rest accuracy. Neither the rifles or myself are up to BR !

To complicate things I am playing with a couple of wildcat creations of my own making at the moment. That's no real problem though because there are plenty of similar old cases to compare data from and draw conclusions on how to run them.

The other complication is most old cartridge printed data and forum data is from the USA and with the current ( maybe for ever ) powder shortages a lot of those powders we don't have access to.
    Thankfully ADI is just across the ditch and they make a lot of those USA branded powders.

It would just be nice to cross check the data I have accumulated from on line with available powders and double check the pressures

Cheers
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter