Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Reloading subsonic 7.62x39

Quote Originally Posted by brent17 View Post
    Thank you for all your posts. It’s quite daunting trying to get a subsonic load. I think I’ll try AR2206H at 60% with a crony. I’ll also make up some 50% loads. If the crony speed is quite high I’ll try the 50% loads. And definitely make sure I look down the barrel for a in cleared projectile. I was going to use a suppressor but on prev advice. I won’t. And I will look for any signs of bullet tumbling. I feel like buying a cheap norinco for this job. I would hate to ruin a ruger ranch rifle 🤔 Thanks to everyone that has posted here. I really appreciate your time to post. And help me with this project. Cheers Brent
    Be aware that you ARE outside the manual and do so at your own risk. The 60% loading applies ONLY to hogdon 4895, no other powder.

That being said, I would pick a normal velo load and chrony it, work out a "grains per FPS" and load aiming for 1200fps or so, then reverse-ladder down from there to 1050. Do it on a hot day or from a warm shed, while I don't think 2206 is particularly temp sensitive, if you work a load in the cold then shoot hot you may go supersonic.
    As a matter of personal preference I would always "jump" the projectile not jam it, on sub loads.
    Like I sais, it's your own hide, I'm not a lawyer, this isn't advice, but this is what's worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by brent17 View Post
    Thank you for all your posts. It’s quite daunting trying to get a subsonic load. I think I’ll try AR2206H at 60% with a crony. I’ll also make up some 50% loads. If the crony speed is quite high I’ll try the 50% loads. And definitely make sure I look down the barrel for a in cleared projectile. I was going to use a suppressor but on prev advice. I won’t. And I will look for any signs of bullet tumbling. I feel like buying a cheap norinco for this job. I would hate to ruin a ruger ranch rifle 🤔 Thanks to everyone that has posted here. I really appreciate your time to post. And help me with this project. Cheers Brent
    No problem. On reflection, I think if the 4895 60% load wont work, then trailboss likely will.