Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Rounds jamming into lands

Yea sounds like FL size is the way to go, after watching Mr cortinas vids and hearing your guys thoughts on it seems like a no Brainer. I felt like when I started reloading it seemed like everything I watched and read pointed to neck sizing being the best for accuracy etc..doesn't seem like the case anymore
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.

I did read/watch that after multiple neck sizing you'd have to fl size it to re fit the chamber. Didn't expect it so soon tbh

look at it this way.......supreme accuracy is all well and good sitting on a bench in city range,if round doesnt chamber...oh well carry on
    now if you on top of mountain having busted your balls to get there and found trophy of life time and you cant chamber a round...well it matters LOTS AND LOTS now....... swear words would be forgiven.
    all things in life are a compromise,you got to find happy medium YOU ARE HAPPY with....at end of day only you know what you need.
    plenty of threads on here show the difference between our personal expectations...now me personally,who doesnt shoot past 400 fullstop and seldom past 200...any load around inch is perfectly OK... I go hunting and are happy knowing load will fill freezer.
    guys who shoot paper or long range gongs would pull out their hair with my loads.....
    hopefully our combined knowledge has helped bump you in right direction...
    F/L size batch...it will chamber fine...then tootoo if you still have urge,maybe partial length resize...or neck size and F/L every third load or so...I dont change things which means I can be lazy,dont keep track of how many loads etc a case has been used for....it dont matter to me....within reason.
    flock and kayneb like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quit neck sizing. Full length size every time, a hunting rifle should chamber smoothly and eject every single time without complication. The gains from neck sizing are in your head. Murphy is watching, and one day.......
    Dreamer, mikee, zimmer and 5 others like this.

Banned
    I would make sure that the chamber is scrupulously clean as well as above suggestions. Had a situation myself with tight chamberings and it was a tiny bit of crud
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

This might be stating the obvious but When checking for length, Don’t feed them from the magazine, feed it by hand gently. When extracting it, try to not let the ejector push it to the side and rub the sharpie ink off the pill.

Thanks a bunch everyone for the input and advice.

I'll give it a good scrub out anyway.
    Still worries me that diagonal gauge in the pill if it's not the rifling. Thinking back, it's definitely not the first time I've seen it..I think it's when I was doing the jam test.
    I might seat a shallow round and see if I can replicate it.

The gouge could have come from a magazine lip? Possibly the belted part on the case overlapped with another and gave a bit of a jam situation.
    As has been said try full length resizing.
    If you still have issues rock along to your local rifle club or sports shop and they may be able to help also. Its often easier to diagnose up close and peronal rather than long distance.

Also has the brass only been fired in this rifle or do you have a few that have been donated by someone? These could be your troublesome rounds.
    Last edited by johnd; 15-09-2021 at 09:23 AM.
    6x47 and Moa Hunter like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I neck size with Lee collet dies because supposedly it gives longer case life, and I don’t need to lube (then clean again) the cases. I full length size after the fifth loading. Brass for the lever action and single shot gets full length sized every load.
    flock likes this.

As has been suggested, toss that neck die out and get some sort of full length die. If you're really serious, get a Wilson FL bushing die and set it so that it gives 2-3 thou of shoulder movement. You'll have to figure out the bushing size- I'd suggest one that gives 2 thou less neck diameter than the loaded diameter. It's not necessarily predictable working backwards on this as brass has variable "spring" in it and may not achieve the diameter labelled on the bushing.

For a big picture on this, have a look at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLG2kSrD40g

Greetings kayneb,
    I think that vietnamcam has cracked it. Generally neck dies are set up to size no more than 80% of the neck to ensure that the shoulder is not bulged by die contact as vietnamcam has written. I assume that your neck die is not a Lee Collet die as I can't see any of the lines on the neck that these leave. Most neck dies don't even touch the shell holder. The Lee is an exception and should be set up as their instructions. After about 3 loadings your cases will need to be full length sized to chamber freely and should be sized just enough to chamber freely and no more or head separations may become a problem. Adjusted this way the FL die may wind up short of reaching the shell holder. A lot of the target and long range shooters have gone to full length sizing each load just enough to chamber using the Redding shell holder sets. They also anneal each load to get consistent neck tension. Another problem with belted cases is a bulge developing just in front of the belt. This is controlled with a special die called appropriately a bulge buster die. I don't see any sign of this on you photo's and neither would I expect to with neck sizing alone. Lastly make sure that your cases are kept trimmed below maximum length as a long case can produce both hard chambering and high pressures. Often erratic accuracy as well. Happy to answer questions.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    veitnamcam, kayneb and mimms2 like this.

What i see is the lack of cut marks. I think you have a carbon ring that has formed in your chamber throat. When i deliberately extend my projectile fwd i always see little razor like cuts which i dont see in your picks. You are seating way back so i dont think you are hitting the lands at all. I would have that bore inspected / cleaned by a gunsmith

The other thing is that your plastic tip is deformed. That has happened because the seating stem you are using is not the correct profile for the VLDs you are using. If you're using a redding you can just buy the seater stem upgrade for your existing die. Even better get a Forster die.
    mimms2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    But. Is .308 enough? I mean, don't you need flatter shooting, longer range, higher-BC, hot-shit super-blammo projectiles and "creedmores" to kill anything now days?
    Yeah, that or more gun!
    Use enough gun

Usually you can only neck size a certain number of times before chambering and extraction becomes sticky and then you have to full size, hence why neck sizing has fallen out of favour these days.

Its becoming more common to wind the full die down to touch the shell holder and then back the body of the die off 1/4 to half a turn, depending on the rifles chamber dimensions.

The scuff marks on the projectile and case are probably just from chambering, as with most push feed actions the alignment of the cartridge tends to be a bit crooked until the extractor on the bolt face clips over the rim of the cartridge.
    mimms2 likes this.

Through all the suggestions I don't see any one mention case length have you ever trimmed the cases a couple of thou too long will
    cause tight bolt and high pressure.
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.