Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shooternz
  • 1 Post By timattalon
  • 1 Post By erniec

Thread: ruger 1 303s in nz

ruger 1 303s in nz

many get over there an have many moved into cast boolits for them?

what sizing have u had success with an any other info be great thanks

Greetings Rees.
    That was disappointing. It looks as there are as many people loading cast in no1 .303 rifles as there are loading for the .350 Legend. I have long had the dream that a no1 in .303 would pop up second hand at a half reasonable price. Perhaps not so I will have to make do with the two number fours and a Martini Krag (plus a few others as well).

There were a few came in I saw one fore sale about 15 years ago, I think collectors snapped them up never to see the light of day again,
    From what I have read they are only good for cast bullets the chambers are not great with long throats needing 200 plus grain bullets to fit
    Shame really could have been a great rifle downunder,
    I have a No 1 in 6mmBR you never know it could become a .303 one day.
    Rees likes this.

There was one in Shooters Supplies for sale last year

Fit and finish was not great
    But it was a nice rifle by modern standards
    The one very big problem that could not be overlooked was the price ! Very high

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    There were a few came in I saw one fore sale about 15 years ago, I think collectors snapped them up never to see the light of day again,
    From what I have read they are only good for cast bullets the chambers are not great with long throats needing 200 plus grain bullets to fit
    Shame really could have been a great rifle downunder,
    I have a No 1 in 6mmBR you never know it could become a .303 one day.
    My one really liked 150gr PPU ammo....Not so much collectors as I know of three...but all there are owned by hunters that really love them and will not part with them willingly. With a 215gr Woodleigh RN they are absolutely devastating on game...
    Rees likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

That's better,
    Sounds as though a half decent price might be a bridge too far. Must try some cast projectiles in my Martini Krag. Shoots the Hornady 150 grain RN projectiles well.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Rees.
    That was disappointing. It looks as there are as many people loading cast in no1 .303 rifles as there are loading for the .350 Legend. I have long had the dream that a no1 in .303 would pop up second hand at a half reasonable price. Perhaps not so I will have to make do with the two number fours and a Martini Krag (plus a few others as well).
    You are not the only one watching.
    timattalon likes this.

so i hit up hawksbury river cast bullet co for 303 an they have some, unsized they are around .3125 an he says with their Hytek coating X 2 it goes up 1 thou, an for the ruger he is going to coat/ bake them 3 X an see what we end up with.
    1 got onto 400x for $74 +post, but grabbed 250 .376 245gr same coatings.... these coatings he rekons are able to possibly run in the 3000 fps bracket (cartridge pending) an so i should be able to get the 303 180s going close to 2500fps which is inline with the drawn out 170 (323) speer and also the 180gr .311 Hot Cors - which BTW are well shaped for most 303s, long slow tapered nose etc.... ive found them good with about 42ish grains of powder i think.

keen to belt a few of these cast ones arund tho!