Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Should I avoid Hornady brass?

Should I avoid Hornady brass?

Hey gents, im still pretty new to reloading. Have developed a few good loads for a .270 and .223 but have a 7 PRC on the way.

My plan was to buy Hornady factory loads (already have around 100 rounds in the safe) and shoot them and then reload with those cases.
    Did some ready and some people were saying they’re only getting 2 reloads out of Hornady brass for magnum loads .

Is this common? Is this a brass I should be avoiding?
    I’ve only really used Sako in the past with the same method and it worked mint

My experience with Hornady brass in magnum caliber is they tend to develop split necks after 1-2 firings. This can be avoided or reduced by annealing. So I would suggest anneal after first firing. Have not seen this problem in 708 or 308.
    Bowhunta and Longrun like this.

It's poor quality brass vs the likes of Norma and Nosler. Which would be fine if Hornady ammo didn't cost just as much.
    Bowhunta likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Jus
    No way, buy Adg brass. Hornady gives very inconsistent pressure signs. I did exactly what you are wanting to do with my 7prc, 10-20 percent of the factory cases I’ve tried that with have loose primer pockets. 7prc runs hot in factory ammo, so to handload to same or similar velocity you will be on the max, you’ll want good brass dude. Sell the factory box stuff and buy some Adg brass
    Bowhunta likes this.

My opinion differs to Jus but i guess because im not chasing maximum speed, it doesnt matter so much to me.

Hornady brass in 7PRC isnt bad if your not chasing every last bit of velocity. Originally when i did my 7PRC i bought 3 packets of factory ammo, pulled it and began loading from there using the brass and pulled projectiles. I found that there was the odd bit of brass that was soft compared to the rest & so i ended up with about 45 good bits of brass out of 60. They didnt shoot any different to the others, they didnt split necks they would just get loose primer pockets very quickly with even mild loads.

I got to a point where i was running 175 eldx at 2970fps with RL26 using hornady brass, 22" barrel. The brass that i didnt have to throw away due to loose primer pockets is on its 5th firing now and good as gold.

Just last weekend i loaded up some ADG brass to try. I was able to get to just over 3000fps before seeing pressure signs. 3013fps average has given a slight ejector stamp and a loose primer pocket on the ADG Brass.

Knowing what i know now, for what the ADG cost i would have just stuck with the hornady, in my opinion not worth the cost for the extra 30 odd FPS gain.
    rupert, Bowhunta and Jus like this.

Same here if reloading for accuracy not every last bit of velocity it lasts ok. Youll just have to try it and see. Some of my ppu brass is on 10+ reloads
    Bowhunta and caberslash like this.

The other side of this is, if you are bush hunting and the brass is going on the ground while you reload.... maybe to be never seen again, whats the issue if its cheaper.
    I've seen hunters that reload look on the ground after each shot, not ideal when you are swinging on a bunch of pigs or deer.... most of them get away.
    tetawa, mikee, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

STC
    7prc for bush hunting ?!?
    dannyb likes this.

Didn't have an issue anywhere near as much as Winchester brass
    Bowhunta and caberslash like this.

With .223 I find that the Hornady brass is tight/stickier to put through the FL die. Seems harder (and I expect more brittle) than other brands. I avoid it.
    Bowhunta likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I'm not a fan of hornady brass.
    In my 300prc, primer pockets became lose after 3 firings with a mild load
    Bowhunta likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

I'm not the biggest fan of Hornady brass and avoid using it generally.
    My main issue has been necks splitting after two or three loadings and to a lesser extent circumferential splits above the head, like excess headspacing , but definitely not excess headspace. This applies mainly to calibres smaller than .375 H&H. I've got some .375 H&H brass that's had maybe 4 to 5 loadings and so far it's good
    I think Hornady's issue is inconsistency. I've seen both good and bad reports on brass life.
    Mainly I'm using Norma brass and have done for quite a few years. You sort of know what you're getting with Norma. I'm not saying it's perfect but I've found consistency is good and I'm happy with it.
    chainsaw, Micky Duck and Bowhunta like this.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    7prc for bush hunting ?!?
    Super pig

I use it no probs for non magnum. I anneal each time and throw the loose primer ones along the way. I only do 4 to 6 loadings. With lapua or Norma or other quality brass I do 8-10
    Bowhunta likes this.

I found primer pockets seem to be crimped so needed a deburring/champer on lip of primer pocket but otherwise no issues reloading brass...223/308/270
    75/15/10 black powder matters