Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sierra back to the future - new bullet design

Sierra back to the future - new bullet design

So it's another plastic tip projectile, do you think it will come with a free set of steak knives?
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    So it's another plastic tip projectile, do you think it will come with a free set of steak knives?
    There must be something more to it than just that, as they already had the tipped matchking.

so the feed back they got from guys using the tipped matchking got listened to then...... pity they followed current trend and kept a thick jacket,,,but then again another line up might arrive with huge hollow point and thin jacket IF the winchester deer season prooves to be sucessfull.
    at the end of the day its reinventing the wheel to some degree Norma had tipped projectiles in the 80s and the old aluminium jacketed lead tips infront of cup n core that winchester made (silvertips) were doing what the new deer season is trying to emulate more than 30 years ago.
    I think the biggest game changer is the current trends where poor shooting technique has led to a whole new group of folk adopting less potent cartridges so they can shoot them with reasonable accuracy...the stout projectiles arent working for them so going back to softer/fast expansion helps
    flip side of that coin is fast twist barrels,they work great with big soft slow loads but if you chuck extra speed into equasion it becomes too much and something has to give,either projectile integraty , barrel life , accuracy or combination of all three.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

tipped match king is a match bullet and therefore is allowed to be used by the armed forces..........call it a hunting bullet and not so much.
    thus you make a hunting bullet line along similar lines calling it something else and the origonal is still "diferent"

Bet they will be twice the price of pro hunters or game kings.
    Mathias likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    So now we have a Sierra SST, not too much totally new about that, surely.
    Steve123 likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think its an attempt to get it across the practical effective range with expectations of some longer range performance. Sure its not much thats new but it makes more sense to me for a 0-500 metre hunting projectile with the sort of accuracy potential that we need to operate at the end of that range. I don't know if I need plus 500m expansion...

Currently I am trying to work out what to use in the 6.5mm class for hunting. 130gr for that sort of performance without being too explosive up close and still expansive at longer ranges. Maybe a slightly more solid better construction in an efficient design is the way to go?

How many people are carrying up close rounds, and long range ones at the same time? Thats just a pain in the arse.

Currently fooling around with 130 VLDs and Amax 130s.

WE don't demand much of course... 0-500m big game performance, cheap and still expansive on light animals like wallabies and goats. Want to be able to use one projectile for all. Not sure that all expectations will or can be met...

I carry 170grn round nose and or 150grn partitions for bush and 140s for out in open for the .270

180grn round nose for close and havent decided on further out load for .308 yet.

its not hard really....... couple or three bush loads and remainder of the dozen I take are longer range stuff.

For my 7mm mag and 7SAUM I worked up 2 loads. I worked up the long range load and zeroed my scope using that load, a 162 a-max. I then worked up a close range load, 160 or 140 accubond. I tested them at 100yds and both were within 1-2" at 100 yds.
    I walked around with the accubond load in the mag for any close-up animal, knowing I would have time to switch to the long range load when needed.
    I never missed out on an animal because I needed to switch loads.
    GWH, chainsaw and Micky Duck like this.

Can any one find bc's?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Why the past tense stug ? Have you got a better system now ?

Sierra playing catch-up to ELD-X...

I won't complain if bullet makers are giving sportsmen the ability to ethically take game at longer ranges.

.244 90Gr
    .264 130Gr
    .277 140 Gr
    .284 165Gr
    .30 165Gr
    199p likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so the feed back they got from guys using the tipped matchking got listened to then...... pity they followed current trend and kept a thick jacket,,,but then again another line up might arrive with huge hollow point and thin jacket IF the winchester deer season prooves to be sucessfull.
    at the end of the day its reinventing the wheel to some degree Norma had tipped projectiles in the 80s and the old aluminium jacketed lead tips infront of cup n core that winchester made (silvertips) were doing what the new deer season is trying to emulate more than 30 years ago.
    I think the biggest game changer is the current trends where poor shooting technique has led to a whole new group of folk adopting less potent cartridges so they can shoot them with reasonable accuracy...the stout projectiles arent working for them so going back to softer/fast expansion helps
    flip side of that coin is fast twist barrels,they work great with big soft slow loads but if you chuck extra speed into equasion it becomes too much and something has to give,either projectile integraty , barrel life , accuracy or combination of all three.
    Agree on the poor shooting technique MD, even the ad clip shows poor technique, with a right handed shooter shooting off the left side of a tree with his fingertips as support. He should be shooting off the right hand side of the tree with a firm grip of the rifle fore-end and the side of his left wrist on the tree and body braced forward pushing into the tree. Just saying
    Micky Duck likes this.

Bring back the melty tips amax I say
    chainsaw likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.