Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Sierras new Game changer bullets

T
    Quote Originally Posted by 300AAC View Post
    Thank you to @shift14 for sending us this from his recent shoot. I'd call it a day there mate!!
    All good, thanks for your help.

Pic of the plate, 590 yds. All Sierra GameChangers. 7mmRM Blaser R8 group lower left

Name:  F1B32464-7266-47EC-B0B0-154F5B7C638E.jpeg
Views: 495
Size:  997.3 KB

6.5x55 in the mighty Blaser R8 upper and lower right groups....sloppy shooting on my part.

B
    outdoorlad, 300AAC, Woody and 2 others like this.

I spoke to Steve's wholesale last week @Mooseman... they aren't in the current shipment so earliest would be late June. Annoying!
    Just...say...the...word

Thanks for that, hope to get an animal with the Game Changers in the mean time.
    outdoorlad and 300AAC like this.

A couple are @Flyblown. Different to a Berger explosion. Like i say, more like a accubond. They drop them big time
    I'm sure they do drop them with exit wounds like that. As a meat hunter I want a bullet to do all the damage internally and preferably not somewhere in the neighbouring district. The GameChanger looks like a very good large game (150kg+++) bullet but gut feel is in 6mm and 6.5mm a softer fragmenting bullet is a better option for fast killing. What has changed in deer design that needs a harder bullet than ProHunter or GameKing?!
    Just...say...the...word

Plenty of other options out there for you then @Flyblown... Sounds like you are more than happy with your current selection of pro hunters and gamekings, which, by the way, are legendary bullets! Why not stick with what works for you? Of course what works for you isn't always someone else's cup of tea.
    I think you'll find the reason for the discussion on this forum, and this thread in particular, is for those guy's looking for real world experience's of something a bit different.

Cheers

J

I think you'll find the reason for the discussion on this forum, and this thread in particular, is for those guy's looking for real world experience's of something a bit different.
    A bit different to what Jared?

Look I see what you're saying, but I just don't buy the underlying design premise that a high BC, hard, controlled expansion style bullet is a great idea, that changes any games. The high bc only helps >400-500m or whatever the relevant range is for the calibre and weight you're looking at. This bullet on our deer at extended ranges - if shot placement isn't spot on - is just going to sail straight through and a lot of the energy is lost. We can agree that proper long range shooting with hard bullets isn't a good idea?

I put my hand up - no, I haven't used them. Happy to be shot down for that reason alone. I can see you're very pro Sierra with a lot of interaction from them on your Instagram, promoting the brand. I love Sierra bullets and have used them for over 30 years, and I think I do know the reason for this thread in particular... to discuss pros and cons of new designs and risks and hopefully sharing a bit of real world experiences with all sorts of bullet designs in specific applications. Some of us will agree that the new kid on the block must be great across the board, others will be quite skeptical, like you were about the ELD-X!
    Just...say...the...word

I'm struggling to see what exactly what you are trying to get out of this discussion @Flyblown. It is getting to the point where it feels like you are just posting for the sake of it.
    You speak of the bullet making to large of a wound, yet you are concerned of it pin holing? This bullet is not a Barnes. They expand and expand quickly.
    You don't think an increased BC is a factor until 500+ yards?.. I would revisit my ballistic charts and consider climate conditions and bullet velocity on a shot of that distance before making a statement like that..

You obviously have strong opinions on a product, by your own admission you have never used...
    You have researched the product via promotional material, and social media posts. Again drawing your own conclusions from those posts.
    My suggestion to you is if you are so interested in having a strong opinion on any product, try it for yourself, and draw your own conclusions. Then if you still feel the need to voice, your then substantiated conclusions for discussion on a public forum, by all means, fill your boots.

Sierra is not an exclusive product to BlackWatch. Its sold all over the world..
    I do like the Game Changers. I am also pro Berger's, Nosler, Federal, Hornady, Barnes and even Swift! I am pro any product that does what it's designed to do, and does it well.

There are so many strengths of so many designs. There is no "one magic bullet' if that is what you are looking for here??

That is the beauty of tailoring the round a rifle for what you want to achieve. You are only limited by your personal skill and knowledge of reloading.
    I take a huge amount of pride in the quality of the products I promote and use at BlackWatch, and providing our customers with absolutely honest, real-world experiences, feedback, and where possible, advice. I'm not force feeding you anything. If you don't like it... the answer is simple...

I quite like the colour of the tips. They go well with my latest cammo outfit.

Its all good Jared. Always good to have someone with a strong opinion on stuff to argue with. You are welcome to your view, I will stick with mine, which is based on a little more than just social media and promotional material. Just please make sure you don't make it too personal, no need for that.
    Just...say...the...word

@Flyblown you might be interested in this.
    Rather then starting a new post this is my results using the sako 7mmRM 165GR Sierra's GameChanger
    All i want is a 0 -600m gun doing my bit. With the ammo and reloading shortage i have ended starting with a box of hornady precision ammo and had some good results from a neck shot a 10y to a poor shot at 520y (me not reading drop chart properly resulting in a high shot just under the spin) a couple big body reds at 250y dropping on the spot. Also a couple of not so good shots from my young fella. 1 320y shot drifting a little far back and animal running 100m, also another 200y steep decline and bullet going down front shoulder going 40y requiring a second shot but losing a lot of blood.Also a couple 400y bang flop goats goat and a few deer in between
    The eldx doing a lot of damage and 75% projectile staying in the animal

Wanting some cases for latter on i can get some one to reload for me i change over to the sako 165gr Sierra's (i was told sako brass better then hornady for reloading)
    My best shot to date is at 480y on a very big red hind going through both shoulders dropping on the spot leaving a inch exit hole.
    A red yearling at 400y going through both front shoulders exiting into the hinds neck standing behind it cutting its throat, both animals needed finishing off.
    And a neck shot on a fallow at 200y and other red deer in between 200y -400y all in the front quarter of the animals. A couple of bad bullet placements on a couple not going far,ten meters and one very poor shot by myself at around 400y resulting in a lost animal no blood and nothing to go on.
    On all animals the Sierra projectile has exited the animal with no more then a inch exit hole still doing damage.

I am a hunting no a target shooter and have no idea about reloading but not far away from having enough components to be able to start looking at getting reloading done.
    Mooseman, Moa Hunter and Synthetic like this.