Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Some thoughts on 6.5 PRC

I sold my 20" PRC. It did everything that I needed but fell short of what I expected.

It was accurate and mild mannered. Killed ok. But for 10 more grains of powder over my excellent 6.5x55 it only yielded about a 100 extra feet per second using 140 grn projectiles.

I would be interested to know what the pressure levels are for the faster loads quoted here. I imagine they will be above the Saami pressure max (65,000 p.s.i.).

Look at this: https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...troduction.pdf
    Last edited by Tahr; 18-06-2023 at 09:40 PM.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

as been said above..10 grns more powder for couple hundy FPS....so its 7mm/08 vs 280 308 Vs 30/06 243 vs 25 /06 all three Vs .270 you can hot up them bot hand keep the gap there but its not a huge gain...and the numbers quoted dont really give such a huge gain over much older cartridges using similar amounts of powder for similar valocity with similar projectile weights.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Hornady data suggests 3150 with a max load of RL26 behind a 143 eldx. Im yet to see one even come close to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    My sierra manual lists a max velocity of 2900 with RE25, Retumbo and RE33
    Not uncommon for manufacturers to shall we say be 'overly optimistic' with the performance of their products.
    6.5 CRD likes this.

You can run it hot but then brass only lasts a few loads so do you really gain anything except burning up extra powder and wrecking your brass

I like the 6.5SAUM but its really nothing better than a 270 with hi bc bullets, Although others rave about it, I found it to be a poor killer on live game with eldx.

Making brass gets a bit tedious but given the dramas and cost getting mine to actually work reliably in the extraction dept along with the fact I have enough brass for at least 2 more barrels and the reamer I am really seem committed to sticking with it carbon rings and all.

A non custom rifle in 6.5PRC would have been better and far far less troublesome (did not exist when I had my SAUM built) but then almost anything is suitable for shooting steel.
    Micky Duck and Gkp like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

well said Mikee..well said indeed
    130grn 270w loads USED to be loaded to 3140fps that got dropped to closer to 3000 some time back
    folks have been poking 140 and lately the 145s out over 3000fps for ever
    some 150grn loads are getting up there too,but its been knee capped forever without fast twist rates to stabilise heavier pills unless they are blunt

reinvent the wheel comes to mind.

I recall reading article from older NZFS culler working at mt cook shooting tahr with a .222 in a oddball rifle,BSA I THINK was a 308 action with altered mag n bolt...10 shot mag.. but because it was such a strong action he was loading waaay hotter than normal....
    always stuck in my memory and now there are some bizzare new ideas out there to up pressure limits via different case designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    In terms of economics in these days of limited availability of slow powders e.g RL26, the 6.5CM & 260 are a better choice for higher volume shooting. As mentioned the velocity returns per grains of powder, these two out weight the PRC. With the 6.5 bore, you are up against diminishing returns for increase of powder volume per FPS (unless you go to 26" + length barrels) . The 6.5PRC is verging on the serious overbore status, being able to burn all that powder volume in the time it takes to exit the bore.
    Mathias that’s my thoughts as well. If you want to get the most out of the PRC it will need a barrel longer than 24 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gregdudehunter View Post
    Mathias that’s my thoughts as well. If you want to get the most out of the PRC it will need a barrel longer than 24 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GRT shows this aswell, with the slower burning powders velocity is still on a reasonably steep incline by 24-26 inches, shortening a 6.5 PRC hurts the velocity alot more than alot of other cartridges
    Danny, Moa Hunter and Mathias like this.

We like shorter barrels here which is a major part in why some of our velocities when comparing standard to magnum cartridges aren't giving a heap of speed difference.

The PRC starts to really pull away from the creed when you're running the heavier 150gr+ projectiles and a longer 24"+ tube

I run my PRC mild at 2860fps (with 2217) with 153's, my .260 at a similar pressure does 2670fps (with 2209). these are both comp style rifles with 26" tubes. these is a lot more room for more speed from both of them
    Moa Hunter, 6.5 CRD and NathanSBR like this.

You have to remember that energy is proportional to the square of velocity so it takes 4x as much energy to generate 2x the velocity. Powder is a form of stored energy (in the chemical bonds). Plus the pressure vessel volume is bigger so I guess it takes more gas to achieve the same pressure and pressure is what accelerates the bullet. Tl:dr smaller cases are always going to be inherently more efficient as far as I can tell...
    Moa Hunter, TimC and 6.5 CRD like this.

Although, you also have to remember that that square relationship between energy and velocity works back in your favour downrange when you bullet impacts... A bullet going 2x faster is going to deliver (well, carry) 4x the energy... And +100fps at muzzle basically = +100fps downrange...

Understood. Its not so much that i dont understand why it isnt a great deal faster, I for the most part understand the mechanics of it & why its diminishing returns. My gripe was more with hornadys load data implying its capable of things that it appears it really isnt. Yes theres the argument that a longer barrel will help, but so will a longer barrel on a creedmoor with slower burning powders, Just not to the same extent.
    Moa Hunter and 25/08 IMP like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CRD View Post
    Understood. Its not so much that i dont understand why it isnt a great deal faster, I for the most part understand the mechanics of it & why its diminishing returns. My gripe was more with hornadys load data implying its capable of things that it appears it really isnt. Yes theres the argument that a longer barrel will help, but so will a longer barrel on a creedmoor with slower burning powders, Just not to the same extent.
    Correct and no doubt their test barrels 24" for their "data"

Their test barrel is 26". My own 26" didnt even really come close to hornady claims & neither does my 24" even if your generous as far as what you would expect to lose with a 2" shorter barrel.
    Moa Hunter and Kelton like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CRD View Post
    My gripe was more with hornadys load data implying its capable of things that it appears it really isnt.
    sp pretty much why folks poke crap in direction of the 6.5creampuff???? they are what they are,no more and no less. hypeing them up to be more than that just leads to heartbreak and disillusionment...or in the case of early african professional guides a mauling or death.

Gkp
    I recall my 6.5prc did 2990 with 147eldm out of 20 inch barrel with superformance. No pressure signs
    veitnamcam and Doon like this.