Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Sonic Case Cleaner vs Media Tumbler Case Cleaner ?

I went for an interview at a boat builder in Kumeu - they had heaps of that media on the floor. They do sell it so if its not on TM, ask them directly

I put 20 once fired 243 cases in the frankford arsenal sonic cleaner and they came out ok, will have to try a few different recipes as I just use the sample pack of frankford stuff.
    Cases where pretty clean already, was just the necks and primer pocket that I wanted to clean
    Before
    Name:  IMAG0004.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  864.7 KB

after
    Name:  cleaned 2.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  976.3 KB

Before
    Name:  IMAG0005.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  690.9 KB

after
    Name:  cleaned 3.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  617.0 KB

this was just two cycles at 10 minutes a piece
    Last edited by Tombi; 26-08-2016 at 12:21 PM. Reason: details

I use both especially then cleaning my black powder brass the ultra sonic dose a great job of cleaning brass both inside and out as some of the guys photos show and for nitro (normal ammo) its all I use the tumbler wont clean primer pockets or inside of brass in less you get a stainless steel media tumbler they do a very good job of everything
    the ultrasonic wont polish brass or remove the tarnish black powder leaves on brass after firing
    so for all my brass I use the ultrasonic cleaner 1st I use hornady cleaner in it I probably run for about 15-20m in 8min runs if the water is dirty ill change it in-between cycles black powder is dirty shit nitro not so much after that I put my brass in the oven in its lowest temp for an hour or so to dry it

nitro can now be reloaded and so can black powder just the brass will be tarnished to bugger

black powder brass imo needs a good long run in the tumbler 4-5hrs and comes out as new
    only time I run nitro brass in the tumbler is if I want it to look flash for the range or if I'm selling it

so to cut a long story short get a ultra sonic over a media tumbler its more important for your brass to be clean on the inside and out than look flash i.e. polished
    Last edited by rambo-6mmrem; 26-08-2016 at 06:08 PM.
    Feather or Shoot, Tombi and WallyR like this.

Well it's an old thread but thought i would drag it back up again. Finally got round to trying the home cleaning solution.
    Brass had been fired three times with a neck scrub and primer pocket clean each time and I did give the pockets a quick clean this time as well but very quick.

Solution: Pam's white vinegar ( 1 cub ) , Pam's citric acid ( 1 teaspoon ) , half teaspoon laundry power ( probably fucken Pam again ), small squirt dish washing liquid. Enough warm water to cover case's and a little more.
    1.15hr given the occasional stir , ....outcome is very shiny clean brass, rinsed twice in first cold then very hot water. 120 degrees in oven , dry and pretty.

Pretty effortless really and dirt cheap. Thanks Pam
    gadgetman and 223nut like this.

Oh yeah.....all done in a bucket