Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By P38
  • 1 Post By Ackley
  • 1 Post By P38

Thread: Special cases in a magnum and accuracy

Special cases in a magnum and accuracy

I have a 44 mag that I want to load up subsonic 240 grain lead projectiles, my reloading manual has a bunch of loads but in looking at the 44 special I see that there is a far wider variety of powders that will give subsonic velocities.
    Will the larger jump to the grooves ruin accuracy? or am I better off running 44 mag and picking a powder for subsonic?

P38
    Only way to know for sure is to give it a go.

I use trail boss for my 44mag subs with good results out of my Rossi 92 with a 16" barrel

Cheers
    Pete
    Guypie likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

So slightly off topic I loaded my 308 for subs the other day 8.5 grains of trail boss got me 1135 fps with 150s didn't mess with seating depth and it shot 1.5 inches.

P38 what weight of trail boss did you use and what projectile weight. I have some 300gn hornady's that I was going to load up sub but would like a starting powder charge. I'm don't want a stuck projectile
    P38 likes this.

I see Lee have 7.3 as max for the 240

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Ackley View Post
    P38 what weight of trail boss did you use and what projectile weight. I have some 300gn hornady's that I was going to load up sub but would like a starting powder charge. I'm don't want a stuck projectile
    @Ackley

I used 240 gr and 300gr hornady JHP and 240gr cast FP all worked great, the 300gr worked too great though.

I smashed a couple of goats with this load, instant kills but fair made a mess of them both. Almost made me feel sorry for them.

Trail boss is pretty forgiving in the amount you use but the goal to achieving consistant subsonic ammo is to keep the muzzle velocity below 1050fps.

with the 240gr projectiles I was using 7grs of trail boss, and about 6 grs with the 300gr projectile.

Here's the formula to use to find your starting load and maximum load for any cartridge/projectile combination.

This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications:
    1) Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
    2) Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load.
    3) Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load.

Do not compress this powder and keep the MV at 1050 fps for subsonic performance.

Cheers
    Pete
    Ackley likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.