Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Three O'Three
  • 1 Post By Synthetic
  • 2 Post By 257weatherby

Thread: Speer 100 gn BTSP #1220

Speer 100 gn BTSP #1220

Gidday - I'm looking for a traditional cup and core .243 projectile and these #1220's don't look too bad "on paper". Anyone using them ?? Results for accuracy and performance on game ??

They shoot really well. I get half inch groups at 100m with w760 and a fiocchi lr primer. Problem is the lead exposed at the tip is quite excessive and causes the bullet to not sit the seating die stem properly which leads to inconsistent bullet seating. I use a knife to shave away the excess lead. For $43 at reloaders they're still good value, just one little imperfection. Sierra 100g BTSP's are better for seating but shoot the same, more expensive with no excessive lead at tip.
    Pushover likes this.

These projectiles, along with the Hornady equivalent, have been bread and butter in my Ruger 77.
    39.5gr of AR2209. Consistently sub moa.
    Haven't shot any deer, but great balance between expansion and penetration on goats.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Banned
    I have used them in 308 and 708 a bit. Shoot well. Pretty soft up close but still soup the vitals. Excellent pass throughs and sacked deer at range.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Gidday - I'm looking for a traditional cup and core .243 projectile and these #1220's don't look too bad "on paper". Anyone using them ?? Results for accuracy and performance on game ??
    Have used it's opposite number, the Sierra BTSP, not impressed - Speer do make a dynamite pill in the 90gn Hotcor, out to 350yds, kills stuff dead, I've got lots of those. Best pill of all is the 95 Berger, Stags and Bull Tahr drop fast with the standard boiler room shot, if I didn't literally have a lifetime supply of all sorts of .243 pills, the Berger is the only pill I would ever use (the 95 Targex is the same pill with a rebate boat tail and gets the same results on game as the Berger)
    ZQLewis and Pushover like this.

speer btsp are traditionally a VERY soft projectile....come into thier own out a bit further....should work great in EBRG....personally wouldnt want to try shoulder shooting an amped up red stag with them..but side on boiler room shot/slipped into crease no wuckin forries .
    for smaller animals they should be primo.