Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 2 Post By veitnamcam
  • 2 Post By Tentman

Thread: Speer 165gr SPBT in 30-30

Speer 165gr SPBT in 30-30

Bored at airport waiting for fog to clear, and thinking about my 30-30... It's a single shot (H&R Topper) so can load any 30cal bullet I want and not restricted to flat tip or flexi tip bullets. I've been thinking about getting some 165gr SPBT Speers to try in my .308, and it occurs to me that it will be soft enough to perform will at 30-30 velocities as well.
    It would be about 1800fps at 150 to 200m. These bullets would work ok at that speed on a deer? I'm certainly not going to shoot that far with open sights and probably not with the red dot I'll probably pop on it eventually
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Next question would be about ordinary. 308 bullets in 30-30 as well. Any cup and core work at slow velocities?

So bored I'm double posting....

Following with interest, I tested some 150s and Leverultion in my Contender 30-30, results were fine on paper but I wanted a bit better performing bullet
    Dama dama likes this.

Greetings O Bored One,
    You wont get a lot of velocity from the 165 so it might be better to go lighter, 125 or 130 grain. These should give 2,200 fps easily while keeping pressures low, a good idea in the Topper.
    GPM.
    Dama dama likes this.

These generally shoot very very well in every 308 I have tried them in and they are very soft so I think they would work well at 30-30 velocitys https://www.speer.com/bullets/rifle-...t/19-2005.html
    Dama dama and Micky Duck like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Another thought. My old No 9 Speer manual gave two sets of loads for the .30-30, one for the 94 and the other for a bolt action. Pressure was kept the same and the bolt action data topped out at 150 grain. I wonder if the 165 grain SPBT would be stable in the 12 inch twist. In any case the long projectile compared to the 170 grain FP would drive pressures up due to it's length. The .30-30 chamber has a very short throat.
    GPM.

Made it to Wellington. Stage 1 complete.
    Thanks GPM, I had wondered about pressure- the Topper is essentially a shotgun with a rifle barrel. But hadn't considered twist rate. Those speer 130s are great, might be the way to go. I wonder what the 110 vmax would be like...?

another vote for the 130grain hollow points..... or you could go 125grn NBT too.....as you say your options are endless. not a fan of 110grn .30cal they loose energy pretty quick.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Palma match barrels used a 1-13 twist and don't like much over 155grs as my mate found out.
    1-12 is standard for 308 and they use 180s at times as well as 165s.
    I would imagine as long as you find a good projectile to suit even the slightly lower velocities that the 30-30 generates 165 would be fine.
    Maybe that was one of the reasons for the 150 date GPM suggested.
    Light enough to get good speed without pressure

My 30-30 of this ilk was intended as a "pass through" rifle where you go up one valley and down another, then hitch back to your truck with rifle completely taken down into your pack.

As such I wanted some "reach", not something associated with a 30-30 but very doable these days with ballistics apps and dialing scopes.

Then the issue becomes to get enough energy and expansion on target. A normal 30-30 will get 170s up to 2250 ish, leverevolution a wee bit more (I comfotably got 2450 with 150s) and a nice efficient projectile to carry that energy makes 300m feasible (maybe).
    Dama dama and Micky Duck like this.