Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Speer gold dot

Banned

Speer gold dot

Anyone tried these? Seem to be reso priced, just wondering if they shoot true to advertised BC and perform well on game.
    Looking to replace 165gr speer btsp in 308 which is not available.

Haven't tried them myself but I understand they're the same projectile used in Federal Fusion 165 gr factory loads.

Heard nothing but good things about them.

Very different bullet to the BTSP you and I been using @stevodog, its a bonded bullet. Its not listed as a hunting bullet by Speer, its marketed as a personal protection / duty bullet.

I looked for an half an hour or so for writeups on its use in hunting, there's not much out there at all. Lots of very positive reviews about accuracy.

Federal and Speer are both owned by Vista, but don't think the Fusion and the Gold Dot are the same as one is 165gr and the other is 168gr. Also, the Gold Dot has a rebated boat tail, which the Fusion doesn't.

I'm a little wary of bonded bullets as I usually prefer frangible bullets like the BTSP, however these Gold Dots are interesting as some of the expanded mushroom photos look very impressive.

By the way I got onto the importer of Speer products and was told that Speer has some form in dropping product lines and leaving guys like us in the lurch. They are trying to find a competitive point of difference to ELD and TMK etc etc and hence the fancy packaging, new names, new designs and so on. I'll be annoyed if they don't bring in the BTSP anymore, I only started with it recently and it was extremely impressive on our red deer.
    Just...say...the...word

Banned
    Yeah the only hunting reviews I found were from users on midway site.
    I wondered if the self defence blurb is more relevant to the pistol cartridges.
    I like the btsp as well and generally like heavy and frangible or light and stout.
    Given that, ill probably try the 150s.

I have shot a bunch of deer and pigs with these in my .223 shoot about .25moa in my howa mini with 62gr ones. Most have been neck shot and absolutely chernobyl the spine, have shoulder shot a few 80-120lb pigs and penetrated through into opposite shoulder, nothing i shot needed a second shot or any tracking.

Loaded some 120gn for @quadhunter260 ‘s 260 yesterday and about to go load some to try in my creedmoor now
    Very new to the NZ market but reports coming from usa say they are a very accurate and a good killer on game
    Muz’s 260 is very restricted mag wise max 2.790” coal
    So he has to be quite picky with his bullets these seem to fit his gun really nice not jammed in the case to much for the short coal
    My creedmoor on the other hand any round that will fit in the chamber will fit in the mag so im not governed by length
    So after looking at the numbers probably not the pick in my rifle as I have a very long Throat so in order to have good projectile case hold
    I have to have a massive jump to lans will try them anyway though
    They aren’t the cheapest bullets at $66 for 50 that’s $132 per 100 a good hornady bullet like an eldm or eldx is $90 odd for 100
    But if you’re someone who needs a short bullet and still want a reasonably high bc for what they are these seem pretty good
    They look like a good shape I’ll probably shoot some tests this week and will report back
    Cheers
    Darryn

that spacewalk to the lands might work in your favour...you SHOULD be able to load them rather hot as you have by default got a weatherby type chamber.....projectile moving forward reduces pressure so sort of increases case capacity... they tell me the .308 works this way too...load them deep so neck gets em started off straight before the spacewalk...
    intersted to see you results..I havent found a speer projectile I dont like yet,all my rifles seem to like them,what gets hit doesnt like them much.

@rambo-6mmrem, those Gold Dots are a fair bit cheaper than that at Reloaders mate. And cheaper still at Workshop Innovations.

I've got a 100 pack of the 62gr in .224 coming. I wouldn't normally go with bonded bullets in .224 as its usually just a varminting rifle. But sometimes it gets used for goats and specifically when I want to recover meat from little ones.

So I did some more reading and found some reference to amazing mushrooms and stone cold killing performance... check this out! This is a screenshot from Johnny's Reloading Bench after a ballistic gel test.

Name:  660D3E11-DB49-4CC5-B578-7CBCC46FF545.jpeg
Views: 1625
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  016E6CB9-F6C9-4E10-B2BE-E6810C9ABC03.jpeg
Views: 1558
Size:  239.1 KB

Far out! That's what I call a pretty little shroom. So when I want a clean kill without lots of fragmentary damage, this looks like it could be just the ticket.

Will be interesting to see if it goes ok in the Tikka 1:12" twist, gut feel is it will be marginal, but I know it will be fine in the CZ 1:9" twist. I can't find any bullet length data for these yet.
    Last edited by Flyblown; 15-09-2019 at 11:15 PM.
    Just...say...the...word

I have an unopened box of 165 btsp and I see they are still on the Speer website, so maybe just a shortage in NZ. Just checked here in OZ and all the normal retailers have them in stock.
    Last edited by nor-west; 15-09-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Yeah we found them eventually @nor-west, wholesaler got some in a shipment last week.
    nor-west and Micky Duck like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    @rambo-6mmrem, those Gold Dots are a fair bit cheaper than that at Reloaders mate. And cheaper still at Workshop Innovations.

I've got a 100 pack of the 62gr in .224 coming. I wouldn't normally go with bonded bullets in .224 as its usually just a varminting rifle. But sometimes it gets used for goats and specifically when I want to recover meat from little ones.

So I did some more reading and found some reference to amazing mushrooms and stone cold killing performance... check this out! This is a screenshot from Johnny's Reloading Bench after a ballistic gel test.

Attachment 120146

Attachment 120147

Far out! That's what I call a pretty little shroom. So when I want a clean kill without lots of fragmentary damage, this looks like it could be just the ticket.

Will be interesting to see if it goes ok in the Tikka 1:12" twist, gut feel is it will be marginal, but I know it will be fine in the CZ 1:9" twist. I can't find any bullet length data for these yet.
    I got mine from Reloaders https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Rel...+26120GDB.html
    $66/50 the 140’s are only $49 per 50
    I Geuss because 120’s are a brand new shipment (I got them the same day they come in) brought in store not online
    They might unfortunately be a bit more expensive to import now with everything that’s been going on
    Only a Geuss

Just finished loading a few to try my 6.5 creedmoor is .264” jump to the lans to get enough in the case to be good and Reliable
    Name:  6E8C92F4-647C-4F12-8865-314CCE4838E5.jpeg
Views: 1347
Size:  90.6 KB
    They are a pretty compact bullet
    Name:  806ABA05-9C56-4994-B785-4FF260410FCC.jpeg
Views: 1347
Size:  611.2 KB
    From left to right
    260 rem 120gn gd 2.790”coal due to mag length restriction
    6.5cm 120gn gd 2.759”coal .264 jump to lans
    6.5cm 123gn eldm forget oal without looking in my notes but I know it’s only 0.020” jump alot more Reasonable

Bugger no 7mm golddot
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

Sorry @rambo-6mmrem I didn't see the 120s. But jeez you've got wonder about these price hikes eh, its across the board. I've got Sierra boxes here from 21 months ago with $48 stickers, but today the exact same bullets are $75. That's over 50% up in less than two years.
    Just...say...the...word

Tested those 120gn ones from the creedmoor at 100 yards
    Load was lapua brass
    Cci 450 primer
    Reloader 16 powder
    Loaded 2.200” cbto (.264 jump to lans)
    3 shot groups 100m

43.5gn
    Name:  53B6116C-8033-4BDF-A65B-0DDF8071F333.jpeg
Views: 1311
Size:  1.20 MB

44gn
    Name:  A2F42188-425A-4701-BA83-9EFCE6CA23CB.jpeg
Views: 1270
Size:  1.37 MB

I didn’t messure 44.5 as I pulled a shot
    Would of easily gone under an inch without the pulled shot

45gn
    Name:  F9F5F6FB-D03F-4833-A7B0-86693C9FB96F.jpeg
Views: 1276
Size:  1.02 MB

Showing very good potential as a good hunting round

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Tested those 120gn ones from the creedmoor at 100 yards
    Load was lapua brass
    Cci 450 primer
    Reloader 16 powder
    Loaded 2.200” cbto (.264 jump to lans)
    3 shot groups 100m

43.5gn
    Attachment 120351

44gn
    Attachment 120352

I didn’t messure 44.5 as I pulled a shot
    Would of easily gone under an inch without the pulled shot

45gn
    Attachment 120353

Showing very good potential as a good hunting round
    Resurrecting this old thread - how did these 120s go on game @rambo-6mmrem?