Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Static Electricity

Just beginning to set up my bench at last, and have a good long cut of left-over carpet to make the shed a little more comfy. I think the carpet is made of synthetic fibre, and won't be fixed to the floor, but won't move about.
    The 'bench' is an old desk, solid enough for now and when I have it positioned where I want, will be dynabolted to the concrete floor.
    So the question is, is static electricity a concern when reloading/handling powder?
    Cheers, Bob.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    It will piss you off with how it sticks powder to your measure.
    Chances of it causing a blowup are about 1 in 20 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    It will piss you off with how it sticks powder to your measure.
    Does it what. Any ways around it? Or just keep tapping it 3 times like I'm doing.

I have couple of aluminium funnels via U.S., as I couldn't find any plastic ones that would fit the .204R cartridge when on my limited shop around. Don't know if I have any measures as yet, best I have a bit of a look around the interweb.

Wash the funnel in soapy water, rinse in warm water, let it air dry then handle it as little as possible.

Only a real concern if you are using black powder.

You can get anti static cloths, the type you clean your glasses or scopes with, they work.

Quote Originally Posted by redbang View Post
    Wash the funnel in soapy water, rinse in warm water, let it air dry then handle it as little as possible.
    Better not to rinse. Just wash in detergent and leave to dry. It's the detergent that stops static.