Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Subbys

Subbys

Hey guys, just wondering would it be possible to load subs for a 243? or would it be to light? cheers

res
    Never having done it,I'm still sure it's doable.
    As to being to light,what do you want them for? Possums around camp that annoy you? Goats up close? Deer?
    The first would be fine,the second doable but the third probably a bit iffy.

Hopfully someone who has played with subs in this caliber will give you some real world info.
    Or just have a go, playing with subsonics is a fun rabbit hole to go down-and trail boss powder makes being safe easier than used to be.
    Using Tapatalk

Easy, I shoot cast subs out of most of my rifles for small game. With the smaller cals the biggest problem I found was the high reject rate for the bullets, the moulds don't seem to keep the heat as well so I gave up on the 223, and 6.5 and now just do 30 cal and up. Most of my molds are lyman steel ones but the Lee aluminium ones seem easier to use just not the selection of projectile shapes.
    For subsonic forget using gas checks and pure lead without tin works well don't forget to lube. A start point with a 100 gr cast would be 8gr of trailboss at just over 1000fps for around 220 ftlbs and a cricket ball trajectory. Warning, it becomes addictive.
    sniper80, matai and JRW87 like this.