Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Subsonic load for 308

dont do it......by all means go light load,but subs suck if your aim is slightly off..... and shooternz on here has awesome 151grn hp cast projectiles at a fraction of the price of other options...highly reccomended.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

225gn ELD-M and 12.3gn Trail Boss

168gn Lehigh Controlled Fracture an 9gns Trail Boss

16 inch barrelled 1-8 twist 308Win

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    dont do it......by all means go light load,but subs suck if your aim is slightly off..... and shooternz on here has awesome 151grn hp cast projectiles at a fraction of the price of other options...highly reccomended.
    Ok thank you for the info. Looking at the other replies, it does look like the strategies are usually Trailboss based. Im new to asking questions on this site, but want to know if its legit to ask about sourcing powders from other members. Or is it likely that everyone won't want to budge on powders anyway?!

Most are trailboss based as its the easiest option (as long as you can find some)
    Micky Duck likes this.

Anyone have an idea of what velocities you get when reducing 2206H down to the 60% load .
    My research says ADI says it’s safe to do , but I can find very little info on actual results and velocities.
    Anyone tried it ?
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Anyone have an idea of what velocities you get when reducing 2206H down to the 60% load .
    My research says ADI says it’s safe to do , but I can find very little info on actual results and velocities.
    Anyone tried it ?
    if you get out a paper and pencil.....yes some of us still use them....and draw up a wee graph..powder weight on one axis and velocity on the other...you will find its pretty close to a straight line..put in what you know and then go forward /backwards to what you think you want and see where its at.....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    dont do it......by all means go light load,but subs suck if your aim is slightly off.....
    MD is right. I persevered with subs for a year. Most of the time they worked out well with good head and neck shots, sometimes they didn't. If I was shooting baited pigs from a stationary position (or something like that), I'd give them another go, but for snap shooting in the bush, you either don't take the shot or risk injuring an animal that just walks off. Not for me. Your experience may vary.

Anyone tried it ?
    This may help? Believe it's the same powder, happy to be corrected

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Subs work great if you understand their limitations
    Set your max distance and don’t compromise
    Know your trajectory to your max distance
    Wait for the ideal shot to present

My max is 30m and the shot is rising from the muzzle to there so I have to aim an inch high to 23ish m

I either go bottom of the ear hole or forehead.

If you don’t get your criteria let the animal walk away and stalk in again, work the wind and predict where it will be and get a rest ready if possible (I like leaning against trees) if you miss it’s going to be real bad so don’t miss

I near fucked this one up when I rushed the first head shot as I could see it was looking at me and about to break, if you miss the brain then the will run and it did, I followed it with a heart shot as it ran which was very ineffective. Breaking its spine with the next stopped it running

Recovered this out of the obliterated vertebrate all others exited

This is the first one iv had take a step and it was all due to my poor first shot.

It was all subx but I notice no difference using robs 151s they both work great put in the right spot. Know where the brain is and just scramble it If you can’t just stalk closer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tikka, Shearer, shooternz and 1 others like this.

Anyone tried it ?
    I shoot cast bullets with 27.0 grains of 2206H velocity will depend on your barrel in mine velocity is 1720fps or there about depending on bullet weight
    just load for accuracy any soft cast bullet will expand at 1500 fps HP's down to 900 fps,
    Hard cast bullets will not expand but will shatter if not made properly, High velocity Cast bullets can be made but it is very expensive and not really worth
    the effort,
    I have the mould for The Extreme Cast Bullet it is a .30 cal 165 grain bullet and has been shot at 3100 fps in a modified 30/06 case
    and has shot 2 MOA ten shot groups at 600 yards.
    Micky Duck likes this.