Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Suppressors and carbon fouling - what's your got to fix ?

Carbon build up is also powder dependant. I find WW760 quite bad.

Fulla
    What's the total round count?

total round count is somewhere between 100 - 150. Not much really. My next step is to try autosol or JB's polish or perhaps lap throat with maroon polypad then polish. Yeah a borescope would be handy !

one more point of reference my 280Ackley is shooting 0.28 moa with 162AMAX's and my 300wsm 0.6 - 0.7 moa with 165SST'snd 168Amax ....so despite failing eyesight I don't think its the nut behind the bolt.

you wont know whether its fouling problem till you look with a borescope.

i wouldnt be surprised if the ammo you happen to be using, shoots 1.5moa anyway perhaps you just fluncked a few good groups initally?
    veitnamcam likes this.
    #BallisticFists

What about the powder being temp sensitive and it changing its performance characteristics as the weather has been warming from winter to spring/summer? I've recently had this problem with BLC-2.

Also, I had a similar problem to yours and I found that the rear action screw was slowly loosening over time.

You don't need a borescope to see bad Cu fowling. If it is bad it will be throughout the bore and visible at the muzzle. Check with small torch and magnifying glass although if real bad it should just be visible. Pushing a cotton bud (q tip) approx 25mm down the bore (don't forget to remove after) helps visibility as well. And then there are the tell tale signs if using a Cu solvent that turns blue.

I have dealt to any Cu fouling with Boretech Eliminator until all blue is removed (takes multiple passes over an hour or so), and then checked barrel with LED torch and magnifying glass to confirm removal from the lanz (well as far as you can see anyways). I'm pretty confident my problem is not Cu issue. That's why I'm curious what others have found most effective for dealing with carbon build up in throat area. Cheers all for the advice and comments.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    total round count is somewhere between 100 - 150. Not much really. My next step is to try autosol or JB's polish or perhaps lap throat with maroon polypad then polish. Yeah a borescope would be handy !
    Maroon is a bit harsh use a grey one maybe. Then from the throat run it down the bore. Same with autosol. If that doesn't help do load development again.

giving the bore a bollocking with a rod could have damaged it.
    there is plenty of evidence that more barrels are "worn out" from poor cleaning tools and techniques than by the amount of bullets it has shot.
    instead of elbow grease, use a better product to remove the fouling from the barrel.
    Greg

You have developed a load in your rifle and then you change something and then you blame the "Magical fairy at the bottom of the Garden" , because it now dosen't work ?.
    Go back to the beginning and develope a load for the setup you are going to use !!!!!.

Ejected
    Developed load - no suppressor
    Fine tuned load - suppressor
    Shoots small groups with suppressor and without.
    Over time groups open up.
    Micky Duck likes this.

There is no way I would be going to scotch bright my brand new barrel!!!

You have other issues is my guess, clean and check everything and do load development again with suppressor on document everything.
    7mmsaum likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Said it already find someone with a borescope and have a look before "grinding" out your barrel. Also have you checked the crown? a minute amount of damage here has a huge effect on accuracy.

cheers all for advice. Yes, would love to get a look thru a bore scope to see what the throat looks like.
    No obvious damage to crown - viewed with LED torch & magnifying glass
    Recently did a scope calibration over 20 moa at 100 yrd - everything checks out. (VX6 3-18x44. The calibration confirmed that ACTUAL moa adjustment is 1.03 in per moa. Returned to zero perfectly.
    No fairies at the bottom of my garden. If there were I would use then for target practice .
    Bore has never been thrashed with a cleaning rod - I only use top quality carbon rods & am very careful in cleaning technique. Best products i've come across & use are Boretech Eliminator & K12 for Cu.
    My next moves are
    a) try a polish with autosol
    b) recheck (again) all screws and torque settings ( done 2x already)
    c) work up another set of hand loads (w 2225 instead of 2217 I've been using) with & without suppressor. And repeat with some factory ammo that's proven accurate previously.
    Just as well Xmas hols are around the corner.