Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Targex 130 grain 30 cal for deer

Now that the stags are hard I have shifted from the .223 to the big bangers. I love to fiddle with bullets but for brute power, bone busting and meat mushing nothing has bested the .30cal 168 Nosler BT at 3k out my 20" 300saum. Its a little carbon stocked Sako A7 and is a honey. Im guessing the Nosler's performance would be very similar to the 168 eldm.
    @Ross Nolan I watched a mate of mine popping Tahr with 130 grain 308 Belmont ammo in the Douglas. They were loaded with 130 speers and he was knocking them over no problem. Knowing Targex bullets I would expect them to perform as well or better. I cut one of the 130 grn speers open once when I was having a little romance with them and they have a hell of a big cavity in their nose and I recall that their jacket was quite thick. I never had a problem killing red deer with them. And I have never met a Targex bullet that didn't do exactly as you would expect.
    erniec, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi