Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Tikka 7mm rem mag

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner223 View Post
    Have just been through this journey myself, started with 2225 and 165gr Sierra TGK at 84mm-mag length,

These were all over the show through .5gr powder increments and being mag length the powder was slightly compressed, thought since its mag length i need a slightly quicker powder to take up less case capacity, purchased 2217,

First group at 69gr with the TGK, just under an inch grouping at 100. Then worked up to 71gr and the TGK stayed about the same, however at this same time i was also doing ELDX 162gr, was considerably better, nearly all powder weights i tried they were touching or slightly off, if anything was me shooting off a bipod on a sunny morning.

Rifle is purely set up for tahr and thats why i chose the ELDX being abit harder than ELDM, possibly if you want to shoot deer could use the ELDM and ELDX as they possibly might have the same POI. Mines a basic set up with a T1 brake and Swaro Z5, am bedding it in the coming weeks and will test the loads over a chrono,

This was my experience so follow normal reloading precautions as always, 71gr is book max but has no pressure signs
    I don't know about that mate. From what I have seen with tahr and eldm I would happily recommend them to anyone
    dannyb likes this.

You will have a million answers here. When I asked the question a wee while ago I came to 2217 and funnily enough my Tikka rem mag didn’t like it but yours might. Anything 2217, 2225, IMR4831, Rel 23, Rel 26 etc will all be worth a shot.

My rifle wouldn’t shoot the 162 ELD-X at mag length but with removing the steel lip in the front end of the T3x magazine I was able to seat them out closer to the lands. They now shoot awesome at 30thou jump.

My first load when the barrel was 24” was using IMR4831 and now my current load with the 21” barrel is using Rel 23. But as mentioned, any of the above will be worth a go.
    superdiver, dannyb and Teggy like this.

Im old school . I have 900 162 gn amaxes left . Same bullet wight. Im driving that with 73 gns of 2225 and getting 3040 fps . Very accurate and deadly .
    7mmsaum, chainsaw and dannyb like this.

Edit above - thats out of a Sako not a tikka

Thanks everyone, ordered hornady brass , 2217 , 162gr eldx pills and some dies today will see how it goes

So just got an email saying the pills were out of stock after getting an order confirmation. And seems the supplier and every shop in the country is out stock of 162gr eld-x

Dont suppose anyone has sone they'd want to sell ? Will post a wtb on the buy sell thread

geeze @Nathan F.....you have fella bent over a barrel here.......

Haha i tracked some down this avo and will be on the courier tomorrow. Rest of the kit turned up today
    Micky Duck likes this.

Hey Teggy, sorry for bringing up an old thread but I'm really curious to hear how you got on with your loads. Any updates?

Gkp
    2217 will probably do it for you.
    Another good option with the 162 if you want want another 100 odd fps is rl22

Quote Originally Posted by Teggy View Post
    Thanks everyone, ordered hornady brass , 2217 , 162gr eldx pills and some dies today will see how it goes
    2217 is a good option and is very temperature stable.
    I run my custom 7RM with 180 ELD-M and RE26.