Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Time for the bin?

Fulla
    sure it wasnt there when it was new... iv seen brass or rounds from the factory like that.

As @Flyblown stated I too would say that there was one or two pieces of cotton off of a cleaning patch lodged in the neck area of your chamber.
    I had the same thing happen with a new Steyr .223 rifle with the very first shot after cleaning the factory grease out of the barrel. On inspecting the fired case there was a 30mm long groove up the side of the case. Looking in the chamber I could see a single thread of cotton. Once removed there were no more grooves. The next time I fired that case the groove fire formed out.

@Dicko is that for 22-250? Maybe I'm just paranoid but its cranking out some pace/pressure. @bully yep 99% sure, I check em all before I reload.
    Gun gets cleaned regularly and has been cleaned since some of those brass were fired. Fired some yesterday and threw them in the jar with the rest and then checked them last night so they may well be from the other week. Will check the 2 rounds I fired this morning and see if they have them. Pull apart me die and have a look also

Charlie,

I’d keep using them in any caliber. It’s the neck. It only holds the projectile and is full supported.

Lube dents, or dents in general normally just pop out in the next firing. Would be good to know whats causing it though.

Have checked die, seemed okay. Check chamber tomorrow. Prepped some brass and will load up some clean ones, fire and check necks.

Its caused by lack of annealing. I see it a bit with my 22-250, some cases are split in the neck and some show like yours.
    charliehorse likes this.

Husky, you maybe right, my experience is lack of annealing show up in cracks in the necks at firing, different neck tension in batches resulting in poor groups and stiffness / stickiness of the case during FL sizing when your trying to get the expander ball / mandrel our of the neck on the upstroke. The deformations here i think is more from having lube or oil, cotton etc in the chamber at firing but again hard to tell without seeing / knowing the whole picture.
    zimmer likes this.