Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trajectory Validation

Trajectory Validation

Guys, been playing around with my .270 at various ranges. Just been trying to make the trajectory numbers marry up.

So so far I have got my load - 130gr SST, Norma brass, 60gr AR 2213SC. On a hit sunny day it chronied at right on 3000fps. I have it a bang on 100m zero.

Entered all the data into strelok. Took it to 200m. Strelok tells me up .5 MRAD. Fire. POI strikes 3" low if I recall. Anyway I needed .6 to get it bang on. Trajectory val = 2750 fps.

Try at 330m. Up 1.7 MRAD. Using 2750fps. Fire, hit x3. A little high but hard to tell if it's me or what.

Try at 480m. Up 3.5 MRAD. Strikes way high. Guess -.3 MRAD. 4x hits, off to right but fine for height. Trajectory val showing 2872 fps. Sweet.

But then it doesn't marry up at the shorter ranges. Any body see something I'm doing obviously wrong?

Cheers

I'm thinking I may have done something idiotic at 200m which is fracking the whole picture.

Its my understanding you should shoot at 400+ and ideally that + is as far as possible when using the validate function

Scope clicks as marked??
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    What about zero at 200 and dial from there. I know a mate that had trouble with a 100 yd zero and deer missed because of it.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

You know young Toby would have sorted this for you in about three words
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I'm not familiar with strelok. What input options other than the obvious does it have? Inclination?

Also, what scope?

Ran into similar problems, Its the bc set velocity back at 3000 if your chronny is legit and manipulate the bc to match actual drop.bc dosnt have much effect short range but makes more and more difference further out.

Try a 130 or 150 meters zero and establish your tables from there. Is your scope height input good?

Check repeat ability of your scope buy shooting a "square box" as well if you can.

If you're dialling for range, I can't see the point dicking around with weird zero ranges - surely it's better to stick with 100m (or 200m, if you're not shooting anything close) and work out your drop chart from there?

At any rate, I agree that the 200m shooting looks like the outlier, but either way you'll probably want to re-do all of your range data.

Confirmation that your scope moves what it says it should on your turrets is a good starting point b4 completely relying on ballistic tables. Set up a grid @ 100 metres (if possible 2 A4 sheets on top of each other or 1 A3 with grid accurately drawn, use full distance top to bottom to minimise errors) and confirm actual movement equals turret markings. If out input correction into ballistic calculator. Cannot remember if Strelok has that function - I am sure it will. Then do your sighting in zero and then your different range confirmations and then adjustments back into your ballistic calculator.
    R93 likes this.

R93
    Agree with zimmer. I had a Bushnell that was .30 per click opposed to .25

Does not explain your low MPI at 200 tho.
    Is your setup and position exactly the same all the time.
    If using rear support for the stock ie a bag of sorts, and if not perfect every time it will explain vertical variations as well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    You know young Toby would have sorted this for you in about three words
    .270's are shit

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    I'm not familiar with strelok. What input options other than the obvious does it have? Inclination?

Also, what scope?
    I'm using strelok pro which is very comprehensive. Has inclination, corealis, weather, very detailed bullet data input etc.

Scope is a vortex pst 4-16 ffp.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Agree with zimmer. I had a Bushnell that was .30 per click opposed to .25
    +1

My Bushnell 6500 over-dials about the same distances as you mention. It took me a while to figure it out and get everything sorted. I thought it was my velocity then the projectiles BC but it turned out to be the scope click values. All sorted and verified now! On target out further than I can realistically shoot!

Try this if you like. Zero at 100 m and shoot 3 to verify. Move to 200 keeping zero at 100 and shoot again if space permits go to 250 or 300. Measure the drop at each range from poa and compare these with streloks figures. Sometimes the real world results are different. As others have said checking the scope ajustment is a good idea. I have a weaver that dials .35 instead of one quarter moa and a red dot that does half moa instead one.