Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Travelling by plane with ammunition

No don't believe so...just locked away.

When I went to South Island I just put it in my check in i had 200 rounds 2 guns 3 mates I had with me had 100 each also
    In a range of large cf Cartridges
    Air nz were sweet
    But did say it was at the pilots Discretion they have to inform the pilots and its upto to them if they Feel comfortable Flying with ammo on the aircraft but no issues

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Flew down to the Toby shoot last month with Air NZ checked rifle through with bolt in the top of my pack and ammo in checked luggage, same pack as bolt. Rifle in hard case with padlock. Under 5kg of ammo and everything separate. No worries.

This is the ammo box used.

Name:  F4A7456C-4A2C-46FB-881B-AFFED73961F4.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  1.28 MB
    199p, Tikka7mm08, BRADS and 1 others like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Checking into ChCh today and waiting at the scanner after declaring 4.8kg of ammo and held up by a guy in front in was checking ammo in as well but packed in an icecream container...not well received.

Name:  20181210_200042.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  1.28 MB

PS...although declared it was treated as normal checked luggage so without a firearm didn't need a special tag and to collect the other end from airnz counter.

Always keep a few old original cardboard packets for this. I have grendel in some 6PPC boxes and 303 in 7mm08 box the other day - dare someone to say it wasn't original ! To avoid problems I made sure the total weight of ammo and its box was just under 5kg in case they went on gross weight. I've had a mate get loose empty brass confiscated so put that in "original packaging" too. It's a game and you can win.

Ammo a nod bolt dont seem to need locking up but I try to usually like in a black cash box.

About guns in locked case, I've tried putting the 7kg case inside a big bag to make the most of a 23kg allowance and also strapped two cases together at 22.5kg and got away with it but was touch and go so my plan will be to check a simple case only and pay for an extra one if needed. Now I've got a big rifle case that will fit a couple of bags of venison as well as the gun.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Travelled myself again today - simple <5kg ammo (original packets)
    In checked luggage, rifles in a case (need to sort a bag around them as wasted 23kg allowance)

No issues, Auckland, Wellington, Napier

The one good thing about jetstar is you get a baggage weight allowance, eg 23kg can be made up of 3 different bags. Makes it significantly cheaper when flying with guns etc
    Bagheera likes this.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Update to my flight from Wellington

They did search my bag - found a note in it this morning when cleaning everything

Had probably just on 5kg of Ammo