Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Tru-Flite 24inch 1-13 twist .308

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    does your opinion apply to all grades of barrels they make ?

For "gigantic pieces of shit" a surprising number of target shooters seem to prefer the UM barrels if you care to look at whats on display at NRA competitions

Hope you come right crash, does not sound like a happy story...
    I have only used the Ultra match barrels and they have all been less the awesome. Some have been flat out rubbish. You will notice I said 'personal' opinion based on barrels I have owned(6). How many have you had?

Or are you going to continue to refer back to all these NRA shooters experience for ever?

TF' used to be pretty good but not anymore. If they ever manage to sort out their stress relieving issues I might consider one again.........but probably not.

ebf
    Maybe they all using "old" TF UM barrels

Between CG milleniums (? mostly MAB barrels) and the Barnard action TF UM combo, just saying I don't see much else.

Mine is an early Sportco, pre-MAB, I shoot in vintage class
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

ebf
    Proudkiwi, I'm curious, what calibers and for all 6 did you use same gunsmith to chamber and fit ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Proudkiwi, I'm curious, what calibers and for all 6 did you use same gunsmith to chamber and fit ?
    They were 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm (x2) and .338. I was wrong in my earlier post, one of the lemons was a Shillen.

Range of smiths - Hardy, gunworks, NZ Hunter (I think?) and even Grant (trueflight)

It wasn't just accuracy, they all fouled like bitches, and they all seemed to spot rust WAY faster than any of my other SS barrels.

In short they suck balls.

Maybe they all using "old" TF UM barrels

Between CG milleniums (? mostly MAB barrels) and the Barnard action TF UM combo, just saying I don't see much else.

Mine is an early Sportco, pre-MAB, I shoot in vintage class
    Actually Im getting the impression trueflite's quality can suck. Enough so that now I'd go kreiger I think.

I think our Milleniums run TFs or Kreigers.

regards
    Last edited by steven; 15-12-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

does your opinion apply to all grades of barrels they make ?

For "gigantic pieces of shit" a surprising number of target shooters seem to prefer the UM barrels if you care to look at whats on display at NRA competitions

Hope you come right crash, does not sound like a happy story...
    Am getting there, I won our fieldshoot yesterday which was amazing considering how it usually go's. As far as the TF barrels being poor quality I know a couple of guys in our deerstalkers club who have TF barrelled rifles and they say they are just as good as any others they have but find they are very picky. Takes a long time to get a load that works, Im finding that out the hard way.
    (Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt)
    Confuscious say war not determine who right, war determine who left

FWIW I've been extremely happy with the many TF UM .338 barrels I've had to date

I know fuck all about barrels apart from the basics but this is the first ive heard of TF barrels being gigantic pieces of shit. Makes me think that your awful luck may have a considerable 'outside' factor that isnt being addressed properly. Dunno.

My 2 cents

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    I know fuck all about barrels apart from the basics but this is the first ive heard of TF barrels being gigantic pieces of shit. Makes me think that your awful luck may have a considerable 'outside' factor that isnt being addressed properly. Dunno.

My 2 cents

Lol glad I wasn't the only one thinking that

R93
    No offence but there have been plenty of stuffed barrels from TF. If you havent heard that, you have been lucky or not used many.

I have had 2 x 6.5 UM barrels from TF that were complete shit and I know of 3 others in 6mm and 7 mm.
    I had no recourse and was told to fire more money down the barrel to remedy. For that, they will never get another penny off me.

In saying that, the 2 most accurate barrels I ever had, were TF. Still have one in .223.
    They will have lemons to be sure, just like any other barrel manufactuer. It was just the poor customer service that put me off them for good.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post

My 2 cents

Yet never had a problem with a single Bartlein or krieger barrel, hmmmmm.

Not to mention not having to put up with Grants bullshit attitude to customer service, even though both manufacturers are on the other side of the world.

How many custom barrels have you had?

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    No offence but there have been plenty of stuffed barrels from TF. If you havent heard that, you have been lucky or not used many.

I have had 2 x 6.5 UM barrels from TF that were complete shit and I know of 3 others in 6mm and 7 mm.
    I had no recourse and was told to fire more money down the barrel to remedy. For that, they will never get another penny off me.

In saying that, the 2 most accurate barrels I ever had, were TF. Still have one in .223.
    They will have lemons to be sure, just like any other barrel manufactuer. It was just the poor customer service that put me off them for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    Yet never had a problem with a single Bartlein or krieger barrel, hmmmmm.

Not to mention not having to put up with Grants bullshit attitude to customer service, even though both manufacturers are on the other side of the world.

How many custom barrels have you had?
    None. As I said I know stuff at about em. Was just prompting that perhaps something has been overlooked? Extremely bad luck for you in any case. Good luck with your rigs for the future. As for me im happy ploddin away hunting for meat in the bush with my Ruger. It will kill stuff when i pull the trigger. Later.

Actually, I apologise to the OP, I have allowed my dislike for TF barrels to hijack a thread asking for help. Bad form.

However, I cant stress enough how much I would try and come to some arrangement with the gunsmith that will allow for you to end up with a Kreiger in a 10 twist, what you wanted, over what you have.

If that doesnt come to be, I wish you all the luck in the world getting it working the way you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    Actually, I apologise to the OP, I have allowed my dislike for TF barrels to hijack a thread asking for help. Bad form.

However, I cant stress enough how much I would try and come to some arrangement with the gunsmith that will allow for you to end up with a Kreiger in a 10 twist, what you wanted, over what you have.

If that doesnt come to be, I wish you all the luck in the world getting it working the way you want.
    Not to worry. Through all of the info given and ideas that people have posted on here I believe I have solved the issue. Seating depth and a dodgy set of scales being the main culprits. I can also say that I have been kind of shyed off of TF Barrels for better or worse. Am gonna get a .338 Win Mag down chambered to 7mm Rem Mag and will get a diff gunsmith and Krieger barrel, should eliminate most of the issues I have had to date with the custom .308
    ARdave likes this.

I am pleased to say that I have a load with 155 Amax's that consistently groups at 0.30 inches or under at 200 yards. It is gonna have to be a one bullet gun though as it seems to lemon everything else
    shift14 likes this.