Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Jhon
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Nugget connaisseur
  • 1 Post By shooternz

Thread: Update on .44magnum bail loadings

Update on .44magnum bail loadings

Some time back I got oppertunity to load up some loads for a mate who does an aweful lot of pig hunting...Ive had my suspicions he suffers from a flinch at times...thus my quest for a suitable load....
    I sourced some great projectiles from 3 different good folks from the forum (thank you all again) and with a bit of research and nail biting sorted out loads.
    its actually HARD to find ..44magnum data for heavier than normal projectiles.
    I did three levels of loads
    hush puppies with just enough shotgun powder to make gallery type load
    normal loads but on mild side
    and finnaly get out of jail loads..hot and heavy..for the times when dogs have a big nasty hua bailed or are in trouble,just point and shoot to save dogs.

also another workmate who shoots even more pigs..110 last year!!!! when I found out he had .44magnum I grabbed box of empties off him and gave them back full LOL... 20 are full noise and 5 were hush puppies

3 days later he gave me back a hush puppy cast projectile..I could have reloaded it.

couple of pigs later he said..next time just make em all hot ones please......
    the first fella has come back for more hush puppies..but he isnt using them on pigs!!! he is shooting possums with them FFS....

couple of conclusions..BOTH these fellas shoot a lot of pigs but both have missed vitals at close range with subby loads and ended up wit hdrink pig being grabbed by dogs and stuck...both should be good shots,range is plurry short,both use a red dot....but I reckon they both shoot like shit as the full power loads give them enough skock to get away with near miss of vitals
    both have used a full noise load in less than ideal situation and both guys have dropped pig with no fuss of bother
    so it seems they are finding same deal as I did with subbies........when they are poked in right place..great fun..near miss of vitals SUCKYMOTO bigtime.

there is a happy medium in there somewhere...... mild load to keep noise down but probably somewhere in 15-1800fps range is my get feeling.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Caretaker
    The 240 XTP projectiles are exceptional
    Micky Duck and outlander like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Great read, thanks for sharing MD

Ask the man from Tokoroa. His pills do the bizo.

Banned
    If going Sub in the 44 they need to be hollow points. The 300 gr HP Nosler will nearly chop the neck of a fallow in half. It is very soft lead with a thin jacket. So although we cannot now get this projectile it does show what works

I read the thread title and saw "44 magum BALL loadings". Then I cleaned my glasses. Excitement over lol.
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

John...that is actually on the radar to do if n when I source some suitable sized round projectiles.figgure the possums won't know difference
    Jhon likes this.

Never underestimate the effectiveness of a lump of solid lead weighing 200-300 grains toodling along at 1400 or so fps

Agree.but it sure helps if it is poked into the vital bits lol

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Never underestimate the effectiveness of a lump of solid lead weighing 200-300 grains toodling along at 1400 or so fps
    I was shooting goats out to about 50m with 110gr sierra varmit projectile or 125gr sst on a 308 case full of trail boss. 1600 fps or so. Margin for error decreased but it was alot more effective than I thought.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Ask the man from Tokoroa. His pills do the bizo.
    Thanks for the plug TrEri, I am suppling a mate in Whakatane who loads Subs.onic .44 Mags for some pig hunters using my .270 gran HP's
    They are very happy with the performance they have shot up 400 rounds so far.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget connaisseur View Post
    I was shooting goats out to about 50m with 110gr sierra varmit projectile or 125gr sst on a 308 case full of trail boss. 1600 fps or so. Margin for error decreased but it was alot more effective than I thought.
    Trailboss if you can get it. 12-13gn of a Shotgun/ Pistol powder like Red Dot, Nobel 78, AS30N or AP70N will give you 1400 to 1600fps in a 30 cal. Lots of info in Googleverse. Effective killing a little out past 100m. Do your research and work up from around 10-12 gn for 150gn bullets upwards
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Thanks for the plug TrEri, I am suppling a mate in Whakatane who loads Subs.onic .44 Mags for some pig hunters using my .270 gran HP's
    They are very happy with the performance they have shot up 400 rounds so far.
    Yes they work well when poked in right place...lol