Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Use LPP as a substitution

Use LPP as a substitution

Since shortage of LRP, has anyone tried to use LPP in place of LRP? I know LPP abit shorter, will it be any differences if seated slightly deeper? Any change in grouping?

What were you thinking of trying them in? Might not handle the pressure

Pistol primers are softer in the cup to accommodate the generally lighter strike of the firing pin. Pistol calibers also generate lower pressures than rifle ones. For these reasons they aren't recommended in high power rifle loads as there is a severe risk of them puncturing. They are perfect for subsonic or cast bullets. though
    Micky Duck likes this.

They are also dimensionally shorter.
    Name:  Screenshot_20230710_090500_Google.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  445.9 KB
    Last edited by zimmer; 10-07-2023 at 10:05 AM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I was thinking reload some 308 win using LPP and try them in my tikka t3 22inch barrel. Can I use low power load to avoid the pressure issue?

LRP 3.2mm compare to lpp 3.05mm

Yep, that’s kind of worried me as well. Found a site talked about this as well. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...imers-(308-Win

Was thinking this morning regarding the shortage of primers. Would it work using SR primers in a pistol cartridge intended only to be used in a bolt action rifle? Would save me having to try and find a decent quantity of pistol primers.

Done that for years with no worries
    Husky1600#2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600#2 View Post
    Was thinking this morning regarding the shortage of primers. Would it work using SR primers in a pistol cartridge intended only to be used in a bolt action rifle? Would save me having to try and find a decent quantity of pistol primers.
    Used them in my 22 Hornets for years and the Hornet should be a bit hotter than most pistol cartridges. I still wear safety glasses though with one of my Hornets as it's an older design with not great gas handling if a primer is pierced. I checked the tips of my firing pins for any roughness. Get excellent groups, better than SRPs.
    Husky1600#2 likes this.

I have accidently used LPP in my 6.5 cm before, primers all ended up very flat and 90% ended up punctured by the firing pin.

now how about a .44magnum used in rifle....asumable both rifle and hang gun use the same ammunition...so which primers are supposed to be used???
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by brick118 View Post
    I was thinking reload some 308 win using LPP and try them in my tikka t3 22inch barrel. Can I use low power load to avoid the pressure issue?
    "Low power" rifle loads are probably still gonna be higher pressure than hot pistol loads. 308 Winchester is a 60,000 psi cartridge. 45 ACP (which uses LPP's) is 19,000 psi. 44 Magnum (which uses LPM's) is 36,000 psi. So unless you're gonna reduce your loads >50% in terms of pressure, I'd say you're asking for trouble.

Trail boss for subsonic loads MIGHT be low pressure enough to do safely. But then again rifles tend to give primers a much stronger whack than pistols (either that or they tend to have more firing pin protrusion), so your chances of piercing one are probably still gonna be up there.

The fact you needed to ask suggests you shouldn't be considering it. IMO, you should buy factory ammo for now until you can get the right primers.
    zimmer and blip like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Walking my rifle
    I do the other way in my 44 magnum rossi lever gun, i use winchester LR primers instead of pistol primers and it causes no issues. Mainly because i have no pistol primers and couldnt find any so i just went straight to using the LRP since i have a decent supply for my other rifles.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

yip Im using rifle primers in rossi/begera but wondered if the SLIGHTLY easier to get large pistol primers might be ok too....guess for subbies the pressure issue dissapears???
    75/15/10 black powder matters