Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by L.R View Post
    You have a 708 that puts 180's out at 2800 so 3050 with a 280 and a 24" barrel dosent seem silly does it.
    Actually it does, when a 280 with a 26" barrel is doing well to get 2950-3000.

Even a couple of Tikka Rem mags I have played with don't really like going 3050

As I have mentioned it isn't your typical 708.....

It has a 34" fast barrel & an extremely strong target action.

L.R
    Yes, and if you run a 280 with a 34" barrel the velocity will be very high to. All I'm saying is that a 280 is a much bigger case and does make significantly more velocity than a 7-08. Otherwise we would all be running around with 7-08 long range guns.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R View Post
    Yes, and if you run a 280 with a 34" barrel the velocity will be very high to. All I'm saying is that a 280 is a much bigger case and does make significantly more velocity than a 7-08. Otherwise we would all be running around with 7-08 long range guns.
    I must have read your reply to LJP wrong.....or not ???

Like Kiwi Greg my 7mm08 thought it was a 280 Rem - 24" barrel & long throat so the boatail junctionof a 180gr VLD was above donut gave 2,600fps & the 162gr Amax up to 2,850 fps. Scary performance for the little 7mm08.

Your reply

That's at least 200fps off a 280. So not really comparable.

I thought the thread was about Velocity gains with longer throat as such LJP post has more relevence than mine as he has a more normal barrel length.

I went 708 to get the speed without the powder to keep the heat down & barrel life up for LR steel shooting.

I have out grown the little calibres & prefer to play with the bigger ones now, well out past 1000 when I get the opportunity.

I had thought about running my 280ai reamer in long as well as long throating it for a giggle