Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Velocity Loss From Summer to Winter.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    Listed here, although currently shows as out of stock. Does give you price indication.

Oehler 35P 3 Screen Chronograph w/ Printer - oehler, 35p, screen, chronograph, printer - Serious Shooters
    I am glad they are out of stock at that price.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Jeez guys we are getting into principles of flight here as far as aerofoil designs and lift. I havnt studied any of that stuff for over a decade. In saying that you are right to the best of my knowledge Sneeze.
    The idea is to create high pressure under the aerofoil and low pressure at the top. Therefore creating lift. Most rotor blades are symetrical however and change the angle of attack by applying pitch.
    As far as a projectiles resistence thru "air" I am not sure on the measured effects, but do see a difference from a low pressure day to a high pressure day in my calcs for said range. It can be a bit and enough to miss at range if not taken into consideration.
    Hi 'R93'.. Hows it going...It wasnt worried so much about 'Principles of Flight" I sat that exam as well but 30 odd years ago. I am not worried about angle of attack or aerofoil design. It was your reference to helicopter blades, engines and density altitudes in relation to the loss of 90 FPS that had me thinking that your were refering to the bullets path through the air and the Army lecture on the effects of the viscosity of the gas on bullet and shell performance.
    Last edited by Scribe; 25-06-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken View Post
    My oehler is still affected by light particularly this time of the year with the sun being so low. It went friggin nuts yesterday being triggered Constantly, by goodness knows what. I'm hoping it was just static. Prior to this it has worked flawlessly for two years
    Take the orange diffuses off when this starts to happen in low light

So in conclusion I think its safe to say to James that without any doubt at all his velocity loss has nothing to do with a helicopter

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by sneeze; 25-06-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    muzr257, tui_man2 and James like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I am glad they are out of stock at that price.
    My goodness that is expensive...........

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Take the orange diffuses off when this starts to happen in low light
    Cheers Kiwi Greg I shall give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    So in conclusion I think its safe to say to James that without any doubt at all his velocity loss has nothing to do with a helicopter

Hope that helps.

Glad we cleared that one up

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Hi 'R93'.. Hows it going...It wasnt worried so much about 'Principles of Flight" I sat that exam as well but 30 odd years ago. I am not worried about angle of attack or aerofoil design. It was your reference to helicopter blades, engines and density altitudes in relation to the loss of 90 FPS that had me thinking that your were refering to the bullets path through the air and the Army lecture on the effects of the viscosity of the gas on bullet and shell performance.
    I know where your coming from Scribe. IMHO air density has more effect on internal and external ballistics than most give credit.

sturg4
    'James' you and 'sneeze' might be clear on why there is a 90fps drop in bullet speed between summer and winter but I am damned if it is clear to me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    'James' you and 'sneeze' might be clear on why there is a 90fps drop in bullet speed between summer and winter but I am damned if it is clear to me yet.
    Its the chemical reaction thing. Powders can react(burn) faster(or slower) depending on temp. Usually hotter means faster but not always due to some retardant coatings etc.
    Its like a jar full of drain cleaner and a cup of cold water = clean drain, substitute cold for boiling water and you will have a clean ceiling instead.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    For any given day, change the pressure and not the temp and there is a requirement to add or subtract elevation. It may be insignificant but it is there, so it is a variable.

If you're still there James and haven't committed suicide with all the advice you're been given

Here's another tip. Pop your bullets down your Y-fronts or in your pocket and keep them at 37.5 *C all year round. Just be aware that if you get the flu it might push the temp up to 39*C

Scribe put simply the ambient temp makes the powder warmer or cooler. Warm powder will burn faster than cold powder creating more pressure which intern creates more velocity.There are plenty of variables involving powder types,double base vs single base, burn rates,etc, I personally think barrel and chamber temp has an impact as well but its not something Iv given a lot of thought to. Some people (including myself) carry their ammo in a pocket close to the skin to try and keep it close to body temp in cold conditions, it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Im2lazy View Post
    If you're still there James and haven't committed suicide with all the advice you're been given
    :
    Hmmm bit condescending but you might be right. James I was wrong about the helicopter, apparently your going to need something really high to jump off.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Scribe put simply the ambient temp makes the powder warmer or cooler. Warm powder will burn faster than cold powder creating more pressure which intern creates more velocity.There are plenty of variables involving powder types,double base vs single base, burn rates,etc, I personally think barrel and chamber temp has an impact as well but its not something Iv given a lot of thought to. Some people (including myself) carry their ammo in a pocket close to the skin to try and keep it close to body temp in cold conditions, it helps.
    Well there you go now, I know what you were talking about. All the time I was thinking outside the rifle, air density, viscosity, moisture and so on and so on. If you guys go on stretching the ranges onwards and outwards you will have to calculate earths rotation into your figures like they do with the long range artillery. Just kidding.

Thanks for that information.