Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Weird irregularities in necks of fired cases.

Today I decided to have a crack with the 7mm at some of my heavier steel targets (apparently my soft-point loads will still sail through 1/2" of steel without even moving the plate... so there goes some of my targets).

After picking up the rounds and looking at the neck I noticed this weird flattening in the neck. There's nothing in my chamber obviously... so I'm a bit confused as to what is causing this.

This brass is getting pretty old and tired so I should be throwing it out... but it's not showing any signs of giving up just yet, even about 7-8 reloads in.

What do you think guys? I thought it might be the extractor giving the neck a whack... but I can't see any impact marks.

Im assuming your bolt has a spring loaded ejector pin in the bolt face and as you withdraw the case it hits side of chamber, or you were flicking them out onto concrete

I wouldnt worry about it,resizing will straighten em out.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

P38
    Thats very common especially in a semi auto cases after firing.

Probally happened when the hot case was extracted from the chamber and ejected onto the ground.

Unless the brass is cracked/split or theres signs of head seperation reload it.

Why waste perfectly good brass.

BTW 1/2" steel wont stop a a high powder centerfire round until you are quite some distance from the target.

You may want to invest in some 400 OR 500 series Bizalloy Plates if your after longivity.
    I'd start with 16mm or more.

Cheers
    Pete

Thanks guys. I sorta assumed it was the extractor. It's a model 700. Just hadn't noticed it before.

Yeah P38 I'll be getting some proper steel at some point from my old man. These are really just 22/17HMR targets that I leave out on the farm... but just wanted to see what the 708 would do

Weird irregularities in necks of fired cases.

I get the same from my 700s. Just the case hitting the action as I eject it.

Some people remove the ejector plunger and shorten the spring slightly on a grinder, just enough that it still spits the brass but doesn't ding the case necks, or spray your neighbour with empty cases if you are competition shooting. I don't know if there is any truth in it but there is an argument that says that a heavy plunger spring is potentially detrimental to accuracy as it could push the case to one side in the chamber if the brass is not a close fit to the chamber.