Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sarvo Arsenal


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Wet Tumbling

  1. #16
    Resident Curmudgeon Kiwi Sapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wanganui without an "H".
    Posts
    2,623
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I_Joel View Post
    Same as most above, though I donít use the steel pins anymore as I donít really notice any difference in using them. the pain in having to clean them up is why I no longer use them.
    I used steel pins once....never again because it takes ages getting all the small pins separated from the brass and then dealing with them.

    Anybody wanting a freebie 200 grm packet ( minus a few) ,of 0.3mm Stainless Steel polishing pins, just P.M. me.

    Balls of steel, :>) are my choice, a 380 gram mixture of two sizes of steel balls, 2 mm and 3 mm.

    After tumbler cleaning, I place a kitchen sieve with the wire mesh slightly larger than 3 mm over a 10 litre bucket, empty the tumbler contents into the sieve then run a tap over the contents whilst shaking the sieve. . A couple of good rinses and shaking of the brass removes all the balls including the smaller ones which clean the primer pockets, inside and out .
    Then swap the sieve for another with a less than 2 mm mesh and pour the dirty through it to recover the steel balls then dry them. Once dried, I usually give them a short squirt of CR C and a shake then back into their plastic container
    G.I_Joel likes this.
    ďThere was a moment's suspense while Conscience and Sheer Wickedness fought the matter out inside him, and then Conscience, which had started on the encounter without enthusiasm, being obviously flabby and out of condition, threw up the sponge.Ē

  2. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,072
    Can you use steel pin into a vibrating umber or does it have to be in a rotary tumbler?

  3. #18
    Member zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    2,909
    Quote Originally Posted by eamars View Post
    I no longer wet tumblr my 6.5 creed brass as they will peening the case mouse even for 40 minutes.
    Ditto. The process also works away at the rims but that is probably not a real issue but the peening of my nicely chamfered necks saw me toss the process away.
    And guess what, my groups never deteriorated.

    Sure, I can understand pistol shooters for example gathering up their spent brass off the range floor and giving it a SS clean when getting home but for me, (mainly F Class these days) it's just an unecessary process.

    Over the years I have continued to streamline my reloading processes, without detriment to accuracy. Intense cleaning is one process that went west.
    Got carried along with the fads at the time of course, ultrasonic and SS.

    However, keeping to topic, when I did clean with SS pins I used, sparingly the Frankford Arsenal snake oil that came with my tumbler. It was very effective. I dried using the Sunbeam dehydrator previously mention in the thread. The pins were dried in the oven, with permission of course. I dried them in the dehydrator a couple of time but then switched to the oven.

    No, I have never put cases in an oven.

  4. #19
    dog chaser distant stalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chch
    Posts
    1,787
    Have seen a few videos of people wet tumbling without the pins and achieving very good results, anyone else tried it? Solved the peening issue?

  5. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Bay of plenty
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    Have seen a few videos of people wet tumbling without the pins and achieving very good results, anyone else tried it? Solved the peening issue?
    Like many others I no longer use the pins. I tumble using a half teaspoon of citric acid and good squirt morning fresh lemon dishwasher (I’ve tried all the Brands and this works best) Also you must use HOT water. I tumble in a Frankfort Arsenal tumbler for between 15-30 min & then rinse clean and dry by putting in a towel sock before putting on trays in the sun.
    Works a great
    25 /08 IMP likes this.

  6. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Bulls
    Posts
    23
    @omark
    what are your primer pockets like after that method?

  7. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    canterbury
    Posts
    1,520
    And back to an ultrasonic you come

  8. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Ditto. The process also works away at the rims but that is probably not a real issue but the peening of my nicely chamfered necks saw me toss the process away.
    And guess what, my groups never deteriorated.

    Sure, I can understand pistol shooters for example gathering up their spent brass off the range floor and giving it a SS clean when getting home but for me, (mainly F Class these days) it's just an unecessary process.

    Over the years I have continued to streamline my reloading processes, without detriment to accuracy. Intense cleaning is one process that went west.
    Got carried along with the fads at the time of course, ultrasonic and SS.

    However, keeping to topic, when I did clean with SS pins I used, sparingly the Frankford Arsenal snake oil that came with my tumbler. It was very effective. I dried using the Sunbeam dehydrator previously mention in the thread. The pins were dried in the oven, with permission of course. I dried them in the dehydrator a couple of time but then switched to the oven.

    No, I have never put cases in an oven.
    Strangely all my 9mm brasses went very well with wet tumbling and SS media. After 3 hours of tumbling there is no sign of peening at all.

  9. #24
    Member seano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    798
    Been nudging away at processing some 9mm... few up my sleeve

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    madjon_ likes this.

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Tioga County
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    Have seen a few videos of people wet tumbling without the pins and achieving very good results, anyone else tried it? Solved the peening issue?
    I do it often and yeah it works but usually the primer pockets are not as clean.

    My recipe is some Hornady case cleaning solution, some Lemishine(citric acid) and distilled water. Works great.

  11. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Tioga County
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    And back to an ultrasonic you come
    Each method has it's flip side and ultrasonic doesn't agitate like a tumbler, so the ultrasonic seems to break the dirt loose but then you have to wipe it all down. I'd say after an ultrasonic bath you'd almost be served by doing a wet tumble with some water to rinse.

    Also for me I mostly bulk load by the thousands so unless I want to invest in one of those big ultrasonics, I guess it's tumbling for me.

  12. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Tioga County
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by eamars View Post
    Strangely all my 9mm brasses went very well with wet tumbling and SS media. After 3 hours of tumbling there is no sign of peening at all.
    I've never seen that issue myself and I usually tumble for two hours. I could see though for something like 6.5 Creed where people have nicely prepped their brass where that might happen.

  13. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Bay of plenty
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost In The Hill View Post
    @omark
    what are your primer pockets like after that method?
    Yes no issues at all. Seems to clean them ok. The secret with the citric acid and morning fresh is to use hot water from the tap

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    167
    Cleaning brass - wet or dry, mechanically or chemically - is always a fine line between getting the dirt off and leave as much brass behind as possible at the same time. From that perspective it doesn't really matter what your cleaning regime is, as long as you find that fine medium. This can be the amount of citric acid per ltr of water or weight SS steel pins to weight brass, etc.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Rice as tumbling media?
    By The bomb in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-04-2020, 07:45 AM
  2. WTB: Steel tumbling media
    By Curtis27 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-12-2019, 05:52 PM
  3. FS: Walnut Tumbling Media
    By Tony D in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-10-2019, 08:46 PM
  4. Help with Tumbling
    By WillB in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-05-2016, 01:08 PM
  5. How long does your tumbling media last ?
    By Kscott in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 07:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!