Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What 308 pill for bush hunting

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    125 SST or 125 Nosler BT or Belmont 130 HP load
    Are you for real? you recomend the most fragile frangible bullets available in the lightest weights available for bush hunting?

Recommend a 22-250 instead.
    Spudattack likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Are you for real? you recomend the most fragile frangible bullets available in the lightest weights available for bush hunting?

Recommend a 22-250 instead.
    Dont see why these wouldnt be any good CAM. My mate and his mate use the 125sst in 308 for wild pigs in AUS. Bowls them over. Hes shot a few deer up the rainbow way with them bush stalking the roar and no problem bowling over a good stag when he lived in blenhiem, they be fine. PS he does load his own and reduces the speed a little , too fast and didnt get as good results
    Last edited by deer243; 29-06-2016 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Dont see why these wouldnt be any good CAM. My mate and his mate use the 125sst in 308 for wild pigs in AUS. Bowls them over. Hes shot a few deer up the rainbow way with them bush stalking the roar and no problem bowling over a good stag when he lived in blenhiem, they be fine
    I dont doubt you will get lightning kills but if you shoot enough up close with light for cal frangible bullets you WILL have bullet failure.

Been there done that got the T shirt.
    I think it is irresponsible to recommend such light frangible projectiles for bush ranges to a possibly novice hunter(?) without at least a caveat of pick your shots!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I dont doubt you will get lightning kills but if you shoot enough up close with light for cal frangible bullets you WILL have bullet failure.

Been there done that got the T shirt.
    I think it is irresponsible to recommend such light frangible projectiles for bush ranges to a possibly novice hunter(?) without at least a caveat of pick your shots!
    Yeah, fair call. Never did get why my mate and others buy a bigger cal then use the lightest weight round and de power it , always said he should of got a 243 Still, just pointing out they work ok if you know what you doing. Just look around at some comments you hear, theres still a number of people that think a 243 is totally unsuitable for a bush rifle, esp in the roar, and we know thats complete BS. Well, i take my 243 4 out of five times over my 308 hunting the roar because i know it works , but so does the 308. As long as you have good shot placement, and get the results no one can say its not suitable

Novice would be a very fair term Cam ,i am still trying to bowl my first deer over
    veitnamcam and Gibo like this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I just grab a box of 150gr Winchester every other year, seems to work for me.
    223nut likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Yeah, fair call. Never did get why my mate and others buy a bigger cal then use the lightest weight round and de power it , always said he should of got a 243 Still, just pointing out they work ok if you know what you doing. Just look around at some comments you hear, theres still a number of people that think a 243 is totally unsuitable for a bush rifle, esp in the roar, and we know thats complete BS. Well, i take my 243 4 out of five times over my 308 hunting the roar because i know it works , but so does the 308. As long as you have good shot placement, and get the results no one can say its not suitable
    give it a rest mate
    #BallisticFists

Ive got a ruler if you guys want to measure up. Thanks for all the suggestions ,im going to give the 165 interlocks a go and will fall back to the sierras if i cant get them to shoot. Cheers

Now look guys, you are not being inviermentley friendly, chucking all that lead around the bush, just do what I did, take in blank rounds only. Now when you see a deer cut a length of wood the size of your bore, stuff it in the chamber then load the blank. I can tell you I got a lot of possums with this load when on army bush training!!!, , Homebrew.357.
    Gibo likes this.

57JL
    165 interloks will be good mate

Gone But Not Forgotten
    The Hornady 150gr and 165gr Interlock flat base are excellent bullets. Prefer them to the same in boat tail (which tend to separate more easily) although had a 165gr FB separate on a small (100lbs) boar at 220m recently which surprised me. Pig was dead before it hit the turf so it didn't matter.

With the 165 Interlock you'll get slightly better velocity with 2208, still be plenty fast enough though. With the 150 Interlock, 2206H produced better velocity than 2208 in a 20" barrel in three rifles tested, one of which is mine.