Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What happened ????

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Any possibility there was water or other obstruction in barrel?
    No , I remember the previous shot as I watched the rabbit get smacked. Previous case extracted fine. Just feed the next round in lined up the next bundle of fluff and it all turned bad.

how about this . . . annealed the case to far and softened the web of the case

R

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    As a side question Viper, did you buy the brass loaded? Our just as empty cases?
    The reason I ask is I'm going to buy some factory load rounds and shoot them then reload as here in the uk this is cheaper than buying empty brass, it's hard to get 7x57. The ammo will be Hornady. So I hope that coming from the factory it will have better quality control?
    Afraid not mate. All the issues I've had with Hornady was from cases from factory ammo. Their projectiles are great, but give the cases a wide berth. If you're in the uk surely you can get rws or something a bit classier?

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    how about this . . . annealed the case to far and softened the web of the case

R
    I don't anneal cases, case on about 4 th reload, trimmed to length, cleaned, inspected, chambered fine.

Brass recommendations ?
    I know Lapua awesome but so's the price.

Norma, Rem , ADI, Winnny etc ????

maybe just a one off occurance . . . wait and see if there is a pattern of failures before making any changes

R.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Brass recommendations ?
    I know Lapua awesome but so's the price.

Norma, Rem , ADI, Winnny etc ????
    My opinion: F-C, R-P, Winchester, Lapua, Norma - least desirable to best.

In 308 though but acquired 100 1x fired F-C brass. Terrible stuff. Large spread in weights. Flash holes punched off centre. Don't know if their premium factory ammo brass is like that.

ADI has a good rep but haven't had anything to do with it personally, nor Prvi which some like.
    Mil surp by reports from other users n here and elsewhere seems to clean up good, batched to brand. Need to keep in mind that some of it is not exactly equivalent to 223R - work up loads again.

Depends upon your use. If not too fussed about extreme accuracy and you are in the habit of loosing fired brass out in the sticks Lapua and Norma prices will take the shine off them.

maybe just a one off occurance . . . wait and see if there is a pattern of failures before making any changes

R.
    Russian roulette
    Boaraxa likes this.

R.
    I really hope so mate, where in central are you ?

you reload long enough you will get the occasional hiccup like pierced primers, casehead separations etc, its a learning curve . . the first is the most memorable.

i have total faith in my rifles to handle it . . . R

Queenstown
    viper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Russian roulette

not for the nervous zimmer . . .
    zimmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7x64 View Post
    Afraid not mate. All the issues I've had with Hornady was from cases from factory ammo. Their projectiles are great, but give the cases a wide berth. If you're in the uk surely you can get rws or something a bit classier?
    Just came out as 50 cases of Nosler brass £107.00
    20 rounds Hornady 140gran £37.00
    Seemed a no brainier but......?

Sounds like you have managed to get some oil on the case .Either coming from the hot action or from handling of the round itself .
    It can at times take a little or a lot to make Bolt thrust get up there ,your cases are not as " supported " as you may think ! .

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    Sounds like you have managed to get some oil on the case .Either coming from the hot action or from handling of the round itself .
    It can at times take a little or a lot to make Bolt thrust get up there ,your cases are not as " supported " as you may think ! .
    That's a very interesting bit of information. I brought the dies used and they were very dirty and the neck sizing die very rough in the machining. I watched a clip on YouTube were a guy got a bit of wet and dry and removed the machining grooves etc. Worked really well but I did put it back together with a very small amount of oil, bugger all but maybe some has got on the case shoulder and with the heat reacted badly, good theory. I am now wiping down all my cases with a dry clean cloth.

Smile

" if it's sunny I use the table outside and listen to music and drink beer while I am reloading " . . . think i found the problem viper, your obviously not drinking enough