Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Caretaker
    Dialing in .250 moa left for 500 yrds and .5 moa left for 1000 yrds will negate 90% of the right hand drift effect of spin drift at those distances.

The total effect of spin drift is a combined effort of a few factors including but not restricted to projectile length, surface area, rpm and air density, the total amount of spin drift experienced often being as variable as the various projectiles used.

Coriolis has a 4 directional effect on your projectiles point of impact depending on your projectiles flight path in relation to the earths rotation and in certain situations can cancel out the effects of spin drift, and in others exaggerate it.

And just to make matters even more interesting on the day the wind currents, eddies and subtle breezes you experience at your private range can often affect your shot more than either of these two conditions.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Banned
    dosnt shooter eliminate this carryon?,(the need to get the cryon out)

Caretaker
    Yes, as can most ballistic calculators

Banned
    with the longer calculation's dose shooter tell you it has compensated for it or you assume its been done or is it in the advanced version setting???

Thanks 7mmsaum
    VIVA LA HOWA

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    with the longer calculation's dose shooter tell you it has compensated for it or you assume its been done or is it in the advanced version setting???
    Its a capability that you activate in your apps settings section.

ebf
    Toby, if you're interested in some high-end physics, read about precessional force / Magnus effect. It is about what happens to spin stabilised projectiles when they experience wind from the left or right...

Search for an article on Wind Shooting by Ross Mason, he has a neat way of explaining it.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

trivia, the pommies made their 303 in left & right handed rifling, the reason for this from what I'm to understand was the effect of coriolis. And the direction that they would be firing. Someone may be able to expand on this?
    Cheers Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Dialing in .250 moa left for 500 yrds and .5 moa left for 1000 yrds will negate 90% of the right hand drift effect of spin drift at those distances.

The total effect of spin drift is a combined effort of a few factors including but not restricted to projectile length, surface area, rpm and air density, the total amount of spin drift experienced often being as variable as the various projectiles used.

Coriolis has a 4 directional effect on your projectiles point of impact depending on your projectiles flight path in relation to the earths rotation and in certain situations can cancel out the effects of spin drift, and in others exaggerate it.

And just to make matters even more interesting on the day the wind currents, eddies and subtle breezes you experience at your private range can often affect your shot more than either of these two conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Toby, if you're interested in some high-end physics, read about precessional force / Magnus effect. It is about what happens to spin stabilised projectiles when they experience wind from the left or right...

Search for an article on Wind Shooting by Ross Mason, he has a neat way of explaining it.
    That just made me think, if you have a right hand twist and wind is blowing in from the right does that mean it'll drift less then if the wind was to blow in from the left. Also when the wind comes in from the left and pushes the projectile does it spinning in the direction of the wind help it move even further?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    That just made me think, if you have a right hand twist and wind is blowing in from the right does that mean it'll drift less then if the wind was to blow in from the left. Also when the wind comes in from the left and pushes the projectile does it spinning in the direction of the wind help it move even further?
    but what range are you shooting at?

<300yds no worries, I'd suggest your ability to shoot is the biggest thing.

If you are shooting at 1000 yds and just have to get a 1st round hit then its a calc job. If however you have some wind and a changing angle that will be your biggest effect and the hardest unknown...it could be 3 MOA, 8 MOA or whatever and changing. Then if the furry thing is moving its 1.75 seconds to impact at that range so you have to lead as well. Personally I'd never shoot a furry thing at that range because I would consider I couldnt guarantee an ethical / clean shot.

I don't shoot at any range but am interested in the effects of spin drift and so on.
    VIVA LA HOWA

It will also clime up or down a cross wind.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yeah I read that in the thing ebf told me to check out
    VIVA LA HOWA

Same reason a soccer ball or baseball curves!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."