Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By akaroa1

Thread: Where are all the Hornady 44mag 240 XTPs?

Where are all the Hornady 44mag 240 XTPs?

So after humming and hawing about suppressors, and generally just procrastinating, I took the plunge and picked up a suppressed Ruger 77/44, which led me directly to jumping into the reloading pool with both feet.

I've been doing a bit of book and forum reading, bought some 265 and 300 gr jacketed hollow and flat points, but have been unable to find any Hornady 240 XTPs. Those things are rarer than hens' teeth.

Has anyone spied any recently? Or maybe suggest an alternative? I have been looking at jacketed because several people have said that jacketed is better than cast when used with a suppressor.

Thanks.

I have a box . But I keep them sorry.

Im assuming your going to go subsonic !
    I have done a lot of hunting with subsonic 44 mags and the 240 XTP is tops. In my experience the 300 XTP does not stabilize in sub sonics and the 240 XTP does actually expand pretty well.
    Your correct that the jacketed are best with hard cast and copper washed not expanding at all. Jacketed in my experience far more accurate also.
    Gunworks usually have them and are showing stock. Im out there tomorrow and will check.
    11.0 grains trailboss with 240 XTP =970 fps in H&R 44 mag with very short barrel / gunworks maximus suppressor.
    Matt2308 likes this.

Yes on the subsonic. Should have mentioned that as well, but you read between the lines. Thanks for the gunworks tip, just placed an order.

With the TB, 11 gr must be pretty full. Do you compress at all? What is the overall length?

Caretaker
    I have 240g XTP projectiles

Pm me if interested
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

If goi g sub or not, try lighter projos of 180gr.
    they work and are readily available
    Mate shoots the Hornady XTPs over 10.5gr ap70n for 50m work, and 2205 for longer shots (he does have a fav load, but it is blood from a stone material.)

Try the 225 ftx Hornady

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used 240gn Hornady in my 44Mag Ruger Deerfield, shot an inch at a 100m with it using H110. Bowled a pig over at 60 yards with it stone dead. Great fun...must get that little gun out again one day.

Dont discount the 300's untill you have tried them. My suppressed rossi shoots the 300 xtp best of all 1050 fps 9 gr unique 1'' groups at 100 with the benefit of the xtra weight for hunting.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

Let me know where you can find some 300 fr xtp , because hornady stoped the production of these at the moment I believe.

Banned
    I agree with John M. First throw the trailboss out, it's rubbish. The variation or spread in velocities is around 50fps. I use 300 XTP's at 1050 also shoot 1'' at 100 metres with ADI. Rossi takedown and Gunworks Seximus Maximus suppressor
    Velocity is a constant if you are subsonic so time of flight is the same for all projectiles. The only way to increase down range energy is to go heavier.
    I would go heavier say 350 to 400 grn soft lead hollowpoints if I could get them. The XTP's don't mushroom like a .22 sub so you have to shoot very strategically. A neck shot just above the spine and the deer will run off without the hydraulic shock effect that you get with a regular centrefire HV. A centre shoulder shot is best breaking the leg and hitting the lungs.
    Zero at 60 metres. If you zero at 100 you will miss animals at 50 or 60 metres by over shooting 6 inches.
    To check if your rifle will stabilise a given projectile use 'Greenhills Formula'