Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Why does pulling case out of FL resizing die require so much force?

Gotta agree with all.
    Got a small tobacco tin of graphite powder, it's lasted for years.
    Have a number of different brand die sets, Hornady's not one of them.
    If you're going to replace, possibly have a look at Lee, you might be surprised.
    Micky Duck likes this.

its weird..my oldest set of dies are hornady in poohseventy..they work great...new set in 308 are a pig on up stroke and Ive tried all the tricks....that theory they squish it too much to begin with sounds like could be the reason...the also dont squash base of body much...50% wouldnt chamber in BLR....but run them back through old old old lyman 30/06 with guts removed and most would....figure the body MUST be skinnier at base.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    its weird..my oldest set of dies are hornady in poohseventy..they work great...new set in 308 are a pig on up stroke and Ive tried all the tricks....that theory they squish it too much to begin with sounds like could be the reason...the also dont squash base of body much...50% wouldnt chamber in BLR....but run them back through old old old lyman 30/06 with guts removed and most would....figure the body MUST be skinnier at base.
    Greeting Micky and All,
    The die makers are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to die dimensions. There is considerable variation in chambers and case wall and neck thickness. Dies need to size the case down enough to fit in the smallest chamber meaning oversizing the case for roomier chambers. My 6.5 x 55 neck and FL dies just size the necks enough for my Norma and Lapua cases and nowhere near enough for Winchester cases. The dies were made before the US started making 6.5 cases. If I bought a new set of 6.5 dies today they would oversize the necks. Chambers for later rifles often are tighter, sometimes chambering older factory rounds hard. Recent factory cases can be smaller in dia of the base creating even more slop in older chambers. Additionally resized cases from other rifles will often not chamber in lever action rifles with limited camming power. Die manufacturers offer small base dies to fix this problem. Redding also offer die sets that include a bushing type neck die and a body die for sizing the case body only but they are pricey especially the competition types. I have some S dies for my 7mm SAUM but have barely used them. Non cartridge specific neck dies are often worse. I have a 6.5 Hornady neck die that is worthless.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    zimmer, hamsav, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

You have to lube the inside of the cases

@grandpamac years ago I was loading my 22-250 using my Lyman 310 tool. I decided I would in future neck size in a press so ordered from a company in the SE of the NI a "neck sizing die for 22-250 please". It arrived but I ended up not using it for a year and when I finally did I found it to be a Hornady abomination 22 cal non cartridge specific neck sizer.
    Like your 6.5 die it was worthless giving no support for the case being sized. Just a great big hole with a decapping rod and integral pin in it.

I later ground the decapping pin down and now use the die as a decapping die for my small primer pocket Lapua brass.
    hamsav and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ihmsakiwi View Post
    Ditto on the Hornady dies, least favorite.
    It also happened to be a Hornady expander ball I had to polish to reduce sticking.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I have a set of RCBS dies in .222 Rem, they were shocking to use, in the pressure-to-operate department, and tore a few rims (rimless) off the bottom, on the up-stroke. I tried everything with them, and eventually discovered a' breather-hole', in the die-body, was blocked with swarf. I sorted this and put a cross file-groove ,across the locking-ring (corresponding to the hole, which it covered). I still cant get my head around Why it worked, but it did . I've also never checked my other dies to see if they have this hole, but cant recall noticing one

I shot a .222 for many a year, and my first purchase of reloading gear was second hand gear. The 2nd hand RCBS full length resizing die produced a runout of at least 40 thou, so I sent two full length resized cases off to RCBS in USA, and two months later received a brand new die. Late 1980's.
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rewa View Post
    I have a set of RCBS dies in .222 Rem, they were shocking to use, in the pressure-to-operate department, and tore a few rims (rimless) off the bottom, on the up-stroke. I tried everything with them, and eventually discovered a' breather-hole', in the die-body, was blocked with swarf. I sorted this and put a cross file-groove ,across the locking-ring (corresponding to the hole, which it covered). I still cant get my head around Why it worked, but it did . I've also never checked my other dies to see if they have this hole, but cant recall noticing one
    Some brands of dies don't even have a breather hole.
    Important to give dies a good clean out occasionally not just the ones with breather holes.
    I used to wash mine in petrol. Nowadays I blast them with Brakleen. If not using them again straight away I lube the iternals otherwise they will corrode.

Forster and Lee are the best FL dies I have used with the stock expander. I too polish them to a mirror finish. The worst I have used are Hornady (243, 7mm08, 308), and a newish Redding FL die in 270. Didn't matter how clean and well lubed the insides of the neck were, it was very stiff getting the expander back through.

I've more or less moved onto Forster exclusively if I just want a basic FL die. The expander assembly is a far better idea being located at the top the the decapping stem, where the case is supported as you pull it back through. If I'm going for more control over neck tension, it's Redding FL bushing dies.
    zimmer and Micky Duck like this.

I have recently replaced 3 of my FLSing dies (well actually Redding Body dies, not true FLS dies) with Forster and must say I am mightily impressed with them.
    As you have pointed out, the expander high up is very good as the last bit of the neck is still being supported in the sizing down section as the expander button begins it's work on the neck.
    These dies produce zero runout. A lot of dies induce runout rather than remove it including expensive Whidden dies I purchased.