Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam

Thread: Wildcat brass sizing

Wildcat brass sizing

Hi all, wondering about peoples experiences full length sizing brass for wildcat rounds that do not have a full length sizing die, i.e. using a body die and separate neck die. specifically, wondering which order you size in and why, and whether you partially or fully size the neck and why. personal experience is preferred over speculation...

northdude
    whats the wildcat

Well if its the one I used to have I used to body size when required and neck size after and only size 3/4 of the neck.

Only sizeing 3/4 of the neck because if you try to size the whole neck it is possible to go to far and push the shoulder/neck junction back changing angles and dimensions and secondly because then you are not sizing the portion of the neck that may or may not have a doughnut forming so it doesnt affect total neck tension.
    Mathias likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

cheers cam, yes it is yours. im struggling to get it to group well, so trying to eliminate possible issues. i think there is a pretty good chance it is just my shooting, but just exploring other possibilities too. ive got a k&m neck turner with a cutting pilot which has tidied up the donuts really well. ive also got some bergers with the hybrid ogive to try once i can get back to the range...

my problem is i cant bump the shoulder without sizing the whole neck. i havent been keen to just neck size as most bench rest shooters FL size nowadays (as far as my reading tells me anyway), and dont want to run the risk of a round not chambering as it is still primarily a hunting rifle.

i was reading back through some old texts you sent me and you mentioned one of the reasons you only partially neck sized was to centre it in the chamber, how important do you think that aspect is?

Quote Originally Posted by bang View Post
    cheers cam, yes it is yours. im struggling to get it to group well, so trying to eliminate possible issues. i think there is a pretty good chance it is just my shooting, but just exploring other possibilities too. ive got a k&m neck turner with a cutting pilot which has tidied up the donuts really well. ive also got some bergers with the hybrid ogive to try once i can get back to the range...

my problem is i cant bump the shoulder without sizing the whole neck. i havent been keen to just neck size as most bench rest shooters FL size nowadays (as far as my reading tells me anyway), and dont want to run the risk of a round not chambering as it is still primarily a hunting rifle.

i was reading back through some old texts you sent me and you mentioned one of the reasons you only partially neck sized was to centre it in the chamber, how important do you think that aspect is?
    Probably not as important as having a load that works (seating depth and charge etc)

Is the developed load not shooting or other loads?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.