Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Knives Africa


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: WINCHESTER 760 IN THE 260 REM or 7MM-08

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Otago
    Posts
    365

    WINCHESTER 760 IN THE 260 REM or 7MM-08

    Is anyone using win 760 in their 260 or 7mm-08 using Hornady 129gn 260 and 139gn 7mm-08 both interlocks
    What powder weights are you using

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    388
    In a 7-08 Rem 140gr Partition 48gr gave 2862fps in a Model 7 with 18" barrel that was pretty much max in my rifle.
    260rem likes this.

  3. #3
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    2,439
    Quote Originally Posted by 260rem View Post
    Is anyone using win 760 in their 260 or 7mm-08 using Hornady 129gn 260 and 139gn 7mm-08 both interlocks
    What powder weights are you using
    Ive got a bit of data with H414 (same as W760) in my 260 rem, i'll did it out. It goes really well in the 260, i also use it in my 17" barreled 284 with 162's

  4. #4
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,819
    Years ago I used it 7-08 with 120grn Sierra and 130 grn Speer. CHECK this but I seem to recall 50 grns W760 and 3000fps from 22" barrel. It was a very accurate load and the Speer 130 grn are a very good projectile on deer. I've used them a lot.

  5. #5
    Member wsm junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Rangitikei
    Posts
    610
    I use 760/414 in my 7mm08ai but have not used any projectiles lighter than 160gr.
    I get 100-150fps increase over the previous loads I had with 2209.

  6. #6
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    5,342
    I used 760 for a bit when I had a 260 but couldn't get the accuracy or speed of 2209, I also found it to be really dirty and created a lot of carbon build up in my suppressor
    #27GANG

  7. #7
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    1,595
    Most ball powders are dirty bastards, it's a given fact you live with. I've found W760 offers both better accuracy & more speed than 2209 in my boys M7 260. Each rifle will differ....

  8. #8
    R93
    R93 is online now
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    13,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Most ball powders are dirty bastards, it's a given fact you live with. I've found W760 offers both better accuracy & more speed than 2209 in my boys M7 260. Each rifle will differ....
    I don't find it dirty at all. I haven't been using it long tho.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    1,810
    Yes have used in both
    Works well

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    546
    Funny this should come up, I saw belmont are selling W 760 for $40 a tin and wondered about buying a heap and changing over.

  11. #11
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    2,439
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Ive got a bit of data with H414 (same as W760) in my 260 rem, i'll did it out. It goes really well in the 260, i also use it in my 17" barreled 284 with 162's
    I was at 46gr of H414 with 123gr Amax, for approx 3k from 20" model 7

    Also had run 44.5gr with 130gr Bergers, but my barrel shot 120/123 weight bullets far better.

    Warm loads, work up

  12. #12
    Member Danny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rotorua
    Posts
    3,104
    How does this work in a 308 20+ barrel?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

  13. #13
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    2,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    How does this work in a 308 20+ barrel?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Really well in the one 308 that we tried it in, did a ladder test with 2208 or 2209 I don't recall now and a ladder with H414. After the first 3 shots with the 414 I could see it was the powder for it. 5 or 6 rounds of ladder in one ragged hole and higher velocity than the adi.

  14. #14
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I don't find it dirty at all. I haven't been using it long tho.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Patching a barrel after using ball powders is way more sooty black than stick powder like 2209.

  15. #15
    Member Danny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rotorua
    Posts
    3,104
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Really well in the one 308 that we tried it in, did a ladder test with 2208 or 2209 I don't recall now and a ladder with H414. After the first 3 shots with the 414 I could see it was the powder for it. 5 or 6 rounds of ladder in one ragged hole and higher velocity than the adi.
    Well thanks for that. Very interesting.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dan M

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Die set - 270 Winchester
    By Sarvo in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-03-2018, 01:08 PM
  2. WTB: Winchester 284 Winchester brass
    By pete88 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-03-2017, 11:12 PM
  3. WTS Winchester 94 30-30
    By camo wsm in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-06-2016, 09:31 AM
  4. FS: Winchester 94 .30-30
    By Snowgrass in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-04-2015, 06:49 PM
  5. Winchester rem mag
    By Neckshot in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 10:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!