Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: .177 hunting pellet recommendation

.177 hunting pellet recommendation

Hey team, I've been given a Browning X-Blade II slug gun. It has a scope on it. I know nothing about air guns, but have a spot with a few bunnies that really is not suitable for using a rimfire, so I thought I'd give this thing a go. What pellets would you guys recommend for killing rabbits? Is this gun up to task? (I have fired it yet)
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Always found H&N field target trophy really good pellets, consistent and accurate. You can grab 'sampler' packs with like 5 different types to get you started.
    Steelisreal likes this.

Caretaker
    JSB Exact in 8.44 grain
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I've been looking into air rifles on and off for ages - the general idea seems to be to find the pellet (on the heavier end of things) that groups the best as shot placement is everything.

the cheap ones you used as a kid,they still work just fine n dandy...pointy ones penertrate more but flat/roundy ones transpher the tiny bit of energy better on smaller stuff.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    for 10m practice, i shoot rws r10.

for hunting mynah and longer sistance, i shoot air arms diabilo heavy 10 grains.

You can buy a pack of sample pellets from most hunting shops , they give you different types of pellets to try and then you select the one that gives you the best groupings and best results.

I think they are on trade me aswell. @Mintie on here is very clued up on the ol air rifles.
    Mintie and Inder like this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

The simple Diabolo shaped pellet is best, buy a few packs of different Diabolo shaped H&N and JSB pellets around the 10gr mark and see which one groups the best. Shot placement is key with airguns so the most accurate pellet in your rifle is the one to go for. Don't bother with alloy or copper coatings etc.

Oh and Google the artillery hold.
    6x47, Ronin007, Jusepy and 2 others like this.

Thanks team got some H&N 10.6gr to try. Will google that hold @Mintie
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

My rifle likes the white point 8.95 gr pointed pellet, does about 718 fps and is good on most critters within its range limitations.

Another thing I have just learned, for all you springer air rifle enthusiasts is I have 2 quality springers a HW80 with a long barrel and the technique for that is artillery hold and keep the hold after the shot is fired in other words follow threw.

Having recently bought a TX200HK off StuRabbit it only has a 10 inch barrel, which equates to artillery hold and follow threw are not quite as important. So easier to snap shoot, which is ideal for hunting. Must be to do with the the time the pellet is in the barrel.

Agree with PadLo. Buy a H&N sampler pack. You will need to try the various weights to see which one groups best in your rifle. For my HW95 .177 I use the Hornet pellet with the brass point , rabbits hate them!

Hunting with 0.177 airguns requires accurate shot placement. Choose a quality brand like H&N or JSB. Then go for the most accurate pellet in your rifle. This takes some testing. There are not many general rules. I would say choose a round head for longer distances and maybe, because of more stopping power, a wadcutter/flathead for shorter distances. No need for fancy, hollow point or strange shape or alloy pellets. Don't choose too heavy a pellet. They have a very loopy trajectory. On the other side, a very light pellet can damage a springer. For medium power springers H&N Field Target Trophy and JSB Exact, all around the 8-9 grain mark, are sensible choices.
    Sampler packs are of little value. For maximum consistency the only relevant number is the batch number. With H&N and JSB it's on the bottom of the tin. One batch of a pellet may group exceptionally well, whereas pellets from a tin of a different batch may group less well. So if you find a batch that groups well, buy many tins of that batch number.
    And periodically clean your barrel.
    Dama dama, Mooseman and Finnwolf like this.

Using jsb hades 22 16g same weight as the extracts, pushed to 950 fps they really wak. Imagine the 177s out of a powerful springer would be an excellent choice.

the first thing to do is find out foot/ pounds at muzzle (actual). bit of Web research, that will give you an idea of what ppl are using.
    it's how I decided to start with 16gr for new gun. People used different pellets to different affect but a weight pattern emerges.