Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: >17's

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Fuck. I'm doing it all wrong!

But here is what I am doing If it's a heavily loaded block and the rabbits are quiet in with the .22 and subs morning and night. Once they get towy start spotlighting with the .22 and subs. Once they are over that the .223 comes out both night and day shooting. This all of course changes with the ground conditions. If there is a lot of long grass around the 22-sub combo is the only way to go spotlighting as they just hold (read hide) on that long grass.
    There will never be a 17HMR in the box. Over priced ammo and doesn't really perform, plus it can't cut scrub. 17 hornet on the other hand maybe, a lot cheaper to run than the rimfire version and by all reports it performs.

I loaned one of the 223's to the cockie where I'm working, he wants me to get him one after using it and fuck the cost of the ammo. They work.

Note here: I catch anyone shooting much past 200 and they are out of there. Hit rates drop and you create spooked rabbits, fuck that, the job is hard enough already. In fact it's thing's like that that are the reason cockies don't let people on

Ever use a shotgun?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Fuck. I'm doing it all wrong!

)
    No just comming at it from a different perspective. You are talking about culling while the most arnt, they are just looking for a little shooting fun.
    HMR cost me 40 cents a round and I don't have to worry about picking up brass or pissing around reloading.
    Nothing will get close to a .22lr for economy but as the range stretches out the hit ratio starts to even things up a little.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Ever use a shotgun?
    Yep, daily with the dogs and nightshooting once they are wised up along with the 223. A great combo.
    Toby likes this.

I have owned a CZ 455 chambered in .17HMR for a little over a year, and killed plenty of rabbits and hares with it as well as the odd magpie. I use 17gr hornady V-max ammo which is yet to let me down. I am comfortable shooting rabbits and magpie's with the .17HMR out to 200-220yds, however prefer to be a bit closer for hares (150yds). I would recommend the .17HMR to anyone for varminting, it is a incredible accurate calibre in calm conditions, one thing to be aware of however is that at 100+yds a small crosswind can push the light 17gr bullet around quite alot, so you will have to pick the conditions.
    Hunt4life likes this.