Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ZQLewis
  • 1 Post By quadhunter260

Thread: 22 mag 30gn vmax ammo on turkeys ?

Gone but not forgotten

22 mag 30gn vmax ammo on turkeys ?

A question for 22 mag owners How well does the 30gn vmax ammo preforms on turkeys to a max of 100m?

Fulla
    I would say good, a friend has 22mag, he was using the standard soft point on possums, but too hard just going straight through. Switch to vmax and better results.

I have shoot a couple of goats with them and possums and rabbits etc.
    I would not recommend them for goats or turkeys. They are too soft and very much a varment bullet. turkeys can be quite large and tough just getting through the feathers.
    At longer ranges when velocity has dropped away then yes but other bullets are better.
    look at the 33/34gr Winchester or Remington bullets. they will have a little more penetration and carry more energy at 100 mtrs as well.

Otherwise it's hard to go past the likes of the Seller & Ballot 40gr. I have not used them myself but heard good reports on them from others with regard to velocity and accuracy etc.
    Some of the other harder 40 gr and heavier bullets are really more suited to goat sized game.
    Noteing that like any rim-fire a cartridge that works well in one rifle may not be accurate in the next one.
    Z

Gone but not forgotten
    Cheers Z thats what i was wondering ive always used 40gn hv solids on turkeys frm 22lr due feathers but now have a semi 597 in 22mag for my small game til i get a 223 possibly later in the year

cheers Quad.
    I settled on the Remington 33gr plastic tip boat tail. my light little ruger 96/22m could put 9 into 1.5" at 100 mtr with a 2-8x scope.
    CCI 40 gr would be more like 4" .
    the 30gr Hornady also grouped well but did not have the same power at 100 mtr.
    did also play with the subsonic 45gr but they did not do anything spectacular on possums.
    and the 1760 fps 45gr jacket bullets on goats but again I felt the extra velocity of the lighter bullet gave more internal damage and killing while the 45 gr would pass through a goat.
    z
    Double Shot likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    i sold the 22 mag and got a lefthand browning abolt in 22 hornet instead 😎👍
    southernman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    cheers Quad.
    I settled on the Remington 33gr plastic tip boat tail. my light little ruger 96/22m could put 9 into 1.5" at 100 mtr with a 2-8x scope.
    CCI 40 gr would be more like 4" .
    the 30gr Hornady also grouped well but did not have the same power at 100 mtr.
    did also play with the subsonic 45gr but they did not do anything spectacular on possums.
    and the 1760 fps 45gr jacket bullets on goats but again I felt the extra velocity of the lighter bullet gave more internal damage and killing while the 45 gr would pass through a goat.
    z
    @ZQLewis, you gotta love the 96/22m, mine is sweet even more so as I got a .17HMR barrel made for it.
    Is yours stock standard?

Hi Double Shot,
    Sold mine a couple of years back. Think it went to a forum member who gave it some upgrades. (was it you?)
    stock standard but,
    Had trigger work done, Cut the barrel band and opened up the stock a little to float the barrel, and threaded for a silencer.
    Was one of the last ones made. GC brought it in for me and I think they also brought in another in 22wmr and 2 or more in 17Hmr which where quite popular given the issues the 17HMR semi's where having.
    Z
    ps have found the rear sight now which was not sold with it.