Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Mintie
  • 5 Post By Ftx325
  • 1 Post By Ftx325

Thread: 22 Magnum 50 grain

22 Magnum 50 grain

Any body use these. Need an allround load that can perform on larger small game . Down here you are just as likely to see a handy Wallaby or goat when out rabbit shooting and a big wallaby will go 30kg but are not that heavily boned. Would the above load act like a solid on rabbits and pencil straight through . Ammo choice is assuming it shoots well of course.

I have been trying these.I usually run the hornady vmax but couldn't get any last time I tried. Haven't been particularly impressed. Accuracy isn't as good as the hornady and they don't seem to expand/kill very well.I can't comment how they would go on wallaby though as we don't have any here.

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk

A 40grn jhp usaly does a good job. Shoot beef with them and they fall over and don't get up. Shot goats to 80-90 yards and they fell over

your memory is short young fella..... basic 40grn load works fine on wallabies. of all the loads Jack n I tried he prefered the 40grn winchester and I liked the cheap stirling stuff as it was softer, either kill wallabies or goats just as good. we tried 50grn stuff and werent impressed,the extra fast stuff and plastic tipped stuff is heaps better than the old CCI maxi mag of 25 years ago.
    get whats accurate and stock up on it when you can find it.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Cost wise your not saving much over using a .223, which would be a much better choice I reckon.
    Micky Duck, Cordite, SL600 and 1 others like this.

But still get 22 mag in a semi which is what sealed it for me.
    I miss my semi's.......
    born to hunt - forced to work

I was a bit disappointed with them. Great penetration but not a lot of damage done.
    Remember shooting a nice angora cross goat at about 10 mtr head on. Found bullet under skin in rear end. did the job but I think the softer 33-40 gr bullets are more effective for side one chest shots on goats or smaller game. Very little expansion in the 50 gr bullet and it was at only 10 mtr.
    My 22wmr liked the Rem 33gr soft point boat tail round. dropped a few goats with that round until I was unable to buy any. ( see them around again now) but I sold the rifle (kicking myself now)
    Z

i have used the 50gr cci "critical ammo" from CCI ( i am a big cci fan) its bloody hopeless. however if you are travelling to chch soon i will donate you 20 rounds to try.

in the meantime i may sell my rossi 22mag semi c/w suppressor/ nv scope and ammo ( all totally unused) for a good deal above the 1500 mark

Better off with a 22 hornet. Have tried the 22 magnum and unimpressed with accuracy. And with price. MUCH cheaper to reload hornet. It's much quieter than a 222 or 223 too but will blow wallabies or goats and leave enough rabbit for the dog --or your cooking pot if you headshoot --something not worth trying witht the magnum. And a very enjoyable round to shoot.

The 50 gn feds shot very poorly in my marlin when I owned it.

I have been using the 40gr Winchester hollow points on rabbits over the .17HMR recently for the same reason as you - I have been caught out three times with shootable deer but am not willing to risk wounding with such a small caliber. Even a .22LR would have seen me take 2 of them with head shots.

I found the 40gr Winchester devastating on rabbits, often blowing them to bits in a similar manner to hitting them with the .223.
    I used up the two bricks I had, and decided to change over to some TNT's thinking that they would be even more devastating on the rabbits, and their accuracy was a hair better than the Winchester.
    Well, they kill rabbits dead, but without the devastation. The completely disintegrate inside the rabbit, usually without an exit hole. Great for low ricochet but disappointing on devastation.

Will be going back to the Winchester once I have shot the brick of TNT.

The fiocchi 40 grain is the pick of the bunch in my opinion.

I'm head shooting rabbit , hare and possum out to 100 using cci maxi mag and it's removing/disintergrating the heads on impact.
    Devastating I think is the word....
    Haven't had the opportunity to take a goat yet but wouldn't hesitate if a head shot presented itself out to same distances if effect on smaller game is anything to go by.
    Growlybear likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

TLB
    The 50gr are hard as, infact don't seem to expand at all. Only damage in larger animals tends to be if they tumble. However, you will have no problems with penetration with them.
    Their velocity is very poor so compared to other 22 magnum options they drop like a brick.

Plenty of people say that the .223 is a more viable option price wise but I use a .223 a lot and the ammo has gone up so much in the last year or so. Even cheap stuff like pmc and ppu is now $30 a box most places. I paid less than $30 a box for the last .22 mag ammo I got (in bricks) and it is still available in most places for about $35 per individual box. If you are using it under 120 odd yards predominantly and only shooting the occasional goat with it then the .22 mag is still a viable option. $70 for 100 rounds vs $150, I know what I'd be using to shoot mostly rabbits as stated above.