Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 6mm Downsides

6mm Downsides

Gidday - I've been pondering options but can't get to a decision (I'm an expert procrastinator/prevaricator and always make things more complicated than they need to be - says my wife).

I have a single shot's in 22K Hornet and 218 Bee but hardly ever use them, seems they get passed when I grab a 22 RF.

However I still feel the need for a centre fire varmint rifle that I'll actually use, and have procrastinated over buying a bolt action 222 or 223

I was thinking of building a 6mm Crudmoor that will be a fast twist, light varmint rifle and double as a "gong gun" and have mostly assembled the parts to do it (post procrastination you might say).

So apart from burning a wee bit more powder in a 6mm, are there any other downsides that I need to consider if I drop my quest for a 222/223 and just use the 6mm ??

you will have one less excuse if you miss....
    257weatherby and 57jl like this.

Slight bit more recoil but if suppressed shouldn't be to bad. Noise would be taken care of with the suppressor also. You will gain in range and wind bucking . Bit more expensive to load for compared to the 22 cal. Should work a treat on those long shots.

You of course just buy a 2forfree

ebf
    If you are into reloading one of the 6mm benchrest calibers would make a cool varmint rifle.
    GWH likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    You of course just buy a 2forfree
    Just did exactly that, acquired a .223 for Wallabies and the occasional deer, weekend gone, passed on a big red at 350ys, that would have been toast with a poo4three - .223 about to be on the block.
    Matt2308 and xtightg like this.

7.5-8 twist 6x47 Lapua, 6 Creedmoor, 243 even...whats not to like

Run the numbers with the 105-115 projectiles

The only downside is barrel life, but that is just how it is, any high performance cartridge/vehicle has the same problem to a greater or lessor degree...no free lunches...ever...never ever

Get the majestic up and running for a start then make a decision based on how that goes maybe?

i saw a vid the other day with 3 friends shooting longrange gongs with 3 different 6mm's . . . the lowest velocity rifle had the most misses at LR, a lot more.

from a varminters perspective i took away from that, don't worry about barrel life so much, performance is more important . . something to be aware of

good luck . . . R
    viper likes this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Just did exactly that, acquired a .223 for Wallabies and the occasional deer, weekend gone, passed on a big red at 350ys, that would have been toast with a poo4three - .223 about to be on the block.
    That is the downside with using a 223 as a bit of an all rounder for small game and deer. Sooner or later you’re gonna get pissed off with its limitations on deer...
    Replaced mine with a 243

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    7.5-8 twist 6x47 Lapua, 6 Creedmoor, 243 even...whats not to like

Run the numbers with the 105-115 projectiles

The only downside is barrel life, but that is just how it is, any high performance cartridge/vehicle has the same problem to a greater or lessor degree...no free lunches...ever...never ever
    You're not wrong.

It's amazing how much damage 60 rounds of 243 has don't to my dpt front baffle compared to around 200 rounds of 308.

AWS
    Any thoughts to a 6x45mm, 6x45 AI/6mmTCU, 6x47 Rem or 6x47 Improved/6mm-204. I shoot a 6x45mm and a 6mm-204.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Can't say I'd b shooting a big red at that range with a 243 eather

Gone but not forgotten
    i nearly built one myself after watching yours being done had the right action but had to sell due to bills now go distracted by 22 hornet haha

Gone but not forgotten
    can mod delete above post please i put in wrong thread ffs🤯😳🤬